The Brightest Smile

"Ugh. I'm doomed, Becky!" A pink-haired girl whined one early morning.

"Anya?! Don't tell me you just slept last night?" The brown-haired girl in pig tails beside her asked.

Anya nodded tearfully.

"But I told you to scatter your things over your bed so you can't sleep."

"I'm sorry... Anya did but I just slept over the books."

'How could she even sleep over bumpy and pinchy stuff?' Becky looked at Anya in disbelief. She would have lost sleep over even a single pearl under her firm, thick mattresses, if it were her. Classic princess.

Sighing, Becky's eyes were drawn to the clock that hung on the wall.

"Well, you still have three hours before the exam! I'm sorry, I can't help you right now, Anya. Mr. Henderson wants to have a word. And knowing him, it'll probably take long."

Becky saw how Anya's face turned from sad to worried.

"B-But I will be back as soon as I can to help my best friend, of course! So just do your best while I'm away, okay?" Becky told her with a reassuring smile.

While unconvinced, Anya let out a smile. "Okay, Becky. Thank you very much. Anya will do her best. See you later."

Becky hurriedly left the room, waving and giving flying kisses at her friend. And so after that brief chatter, Anya was alone, the quietness helping her focus on how she should cram everything that must be studied in the little time she has left.

She sat on their desk. 'Becky could have helped me understand these... But she can't be here.'

Terrible things that might happen if she gets a series of F scores suddenly crossed her mind:

'Anya, you can't do the job so I will now find a new child for Operation Strix,' her father, Loid Forger, said in her thoughts.

'It's time to return you to the orphanage. Goodbye, Anya...'

"Oh no..." Anya said tearfully. 'Not again...'

She buried her face in her hands and sobbed. She now has the best fake family anyone could imagine, with a mission on her hand that looks after something as grand as world peace. Anya loved how things turned out ever since the day she left her life as a lab rat. That's why this threat looming over her of losing everything is like having a dagger piercing her little, hopeful heart.

Drowned in her thoughts and tears, Anya did not notice the door open.

A boy came inside. He froze upon seeing Anya in a crying state. The boy is Damian Desmond, a rich and popular kid who has always 'hated' Anya after she punched him in the face on their first day of school. Anya has apologized to him but he can't forgive her for trampling on his pride. 'Punching the great Damian Desmond is a crime in these school halls.'

Yet, there is something about her he just couldn't hate. Anya is a genuine, sincere, and sweet girl... he found out that very moment she apologized. Since then, he has this weird feeling in his chest whenever he saw her. And now, he couldn't bear to see her crying helplessly.