Birthdays... are Special?

Author's Note:

There are possible triggers in this chapter (oppression, sadness).

Hope all is well with you!

-💕

~~~~~

Damian fixed the golden buttons of his uniform as he checked his appearance in the mirror, his narrowed lips and sharp but tired stare hints at mild frustration.

'I don't have to bother anyway, right? I'm a Desmond,' his mind expressed.

Yet, not even a second had passed when he blurted out a straightforward rejection.

"Don't regress to that stupid line again, Damian."

He watched his reflection let out a heavy sigh.

"We're here, Bossman!" Damian heard Emile's dampened voice behind the still-closed door.

"Coming." He took his bag and went outside to meet his friends.

Together, Damian, Emile, and Ewen took their usual path to the Cecile Hall classroom with energized chats about various things.

"How was the sky last night, Bossman?" Emile asked.

"Fine for those who have little interest, but a sight to behold for me," Damian replied, a smile appearing on his lips.

"I saw it briefly! You too, Emile, right?" Ewen asked.

"I slept facing the window as you suggested, but I dozed off as soon as I hit the bed. Sorry," Emile replied, lightly scratching his cheek.

"Sleeping at 8? Is that you?" Damian mocked.

"He went all out in the arcade against this 'joystick king' who ruled the newest game there," Ewen said.

"Yup, all spent but I won in the end! In your name, Bossman!" Emile said proudly.

"Well, you have twice the luck — you won yesterday and it still is the same sky tonight. Better catch it or your next chance will be in a decade," Damian told him.

"I surely will! Do we wait until midnight?" Emile asked.

"Hardly. It's there around 8. Go to the garden for the best view," Damian told them.

"Okay then. If you'd let us," Ewen said. Damian nodded back.

As the three boys descended the stair pavement perpendicular to the pathway from the gate, they saw among the students a girl in pigtails holding a floral paper bag.

"Eh?" she spoke, addressing Damian and his friends.

"What is that for, Blackbell?" Ewen questioned the girl's disgusted tone.

"You looking down from there makes me sick," Becky said.

"Huh! Just move and get out of the way," Emile said.

They continued their descent with an unfazed expression. Damian was planning to just pass by her without a word. To his surprise, however, Becky did not move an inch.

"So... did they tell you it was Anya's birthday yesterday?" She asked when they were facing each other.

He knew ignoring her might ruin his morning mood so he decided to just answer briefly.

"They did, last night," Damian replied.

"Huh. I guess that's too late to get her something." Damian saw Becky rubbing her chin, her expression neither mocking nor teasing.

"So what?" Damian said.

"Don't be pretentious, Desmond. I know you wish you had known sooner. I wish so too myself," Becky paused, a subtle sadness gleamed in her eyes. "I guess I was just lucky to see her blowing a cake in that restaurant."