Chapter 18

A person standing outside the chamber would have been bowled over by the wave of angry voices.
"Silence please silence." Fudge tried to bring order banging his gavel. But no one was listening. After a few moments Madam Bones set off a loud cannon blast from her wand finally quieting them.
"My thanks Madam Bones." Fudge inclined his head in her direction. "This travesty of justice occurred during the previous administration. Once light was shed on this unfortunate circumstance I and Madam Bones realised  this needed to be dealt with quickly. You will be asked to listen to this evidence and judge fairly in accordance with the law."
"Just what is this evidence?" Lucius Malfoy asked.
"The last will and testament of James Potter and Lily Potter." Said Madam Bones sternly. "It has been authenticated and verified, I myself was present at the original reading."
Malfoy deflated and sat back down grumbling to the Lords next to him.
"When this will was brought to my attention, I rescinded the kiss on sight order for Lord Black. A letter was sent to him and he surrendered himself for trial. Bring in the accused."
Sirius was marched in between two very familiar auror's. Kingsley on his left and Tonks on his right. Sirius was chained to the chair and Minister Fudge began.
"Sirius Black you stand accused of 12 counts of murder and the betrayal of the Potter's to he who must not be named. How do you plead?"
"Not guilty on both counts." Said Sirius.
"To the count of escaping Azkaban how do you plead?" Asked Fudge.
"Guilty." He stated.
"Do you concent to veritaserum and pensive memory extraction?" He asked.
"Yes I consent." Sirius looked around saw Harry and winked at him. Harry could barely contain his smile at his antics.
Fudge order Kingsley to extract the memory and another auror to get the potion. A large pensive was placed infront of them and the memory poured in. They watched as Sirius convinced them that Petigrew was the better choice, as everyone would think he was the obvious choice. No one would suspect the switch. They watched as he learned how wrong he was and the state he was in afterwards. They watched his hunt for Peter and they witnessed him lying shouting that it was Sirius's fault and him blowing up the street and transforming into a rat. Most of the chamber was in uproar at the sight. Many were calling for Petigrew's blood and many more demanding Sirius be released on the spot. With a cannon blast from his own wand Fudge got the chamber back under control.
"I believe there still the questioning to be done. Madam Bones if you will." He said after the crowd had settled down.
The veritaserum was given and the questions confirmed his memories completely.
"The only charge left to answer, Mr Black how did you escape from Azkaban?"
"During my fifth year I became an unregistered animagus." Sirius said in the monotonous tone of one under the truth serum.
"Thank you for that explanation." Fudge jestured for the antidote to be given. The murmurs beginning to rise at Sirius's statement. "Rest assured we have already implemented a new ward preventing this from happening again.As it has been proven that Sirius Black did not betray the Potter's and did not murder 12 people in cold blood we hear by acquit him of those charges. As to the fact he is an illegal animagus, Mr Black will be fined 100 galleons provided he registers within one month. Auror's please release Mr Black, we will discuss wrongful imprisonment compensation at the next official meeting. We will now have a short break for lunch and all wizengamot members must return by 1 o'clock for the trial of Peter Petigrew." At his last words many angry voices could be heard but the auror's protected the minister as he escorted Sirius out of the room. Tonks came over to Harry and Remus to invite them to join Fudge and Sirius for lunch. Arthur declined he should get back to Molly and tell her the news.Despite many people wanting to get his attention Harry let himself be led to the Minister's private dining room. As Harry hugged his now free godfather a reporter who had thought that covering the ministry waiting for a story was pointless, well he was dead wrong today. Richard Simmons rushed began to get quotes and interviews with many members of the wizengamot. He couldn't wait for the next trial Rita would be spitting nails that she had passed this assignment up. Chuckling with glee he hoped he could get a quote from the boy who lived.
              --------------------------------------
In the private dining room Remus sat talking and eating with his oldest friend. He could feel the wolf in him pleased as punch his pack mate was back. Harry sat chatting with them. Fudge disappeared momentarily and returned with some fresh robes and a box.
"Mr Black." Fudge interrupted. "Amelua found these in evidence, your robes and your wand. My private bathroom is just through there so you can change."
Thanking him Sirius jumped up and almost ran to the bathroom. He couldn't wait to get out of those prison robes.
When he came back into the room Harry and Cornelius were discussing the statement Harry would make after they were done. Fudge noticed him and called him over.
"Good to see you looking better. I have a little paperwork here for you to sign. As you were named as Harry's legal guardian in the Potter's will signing these forms will begin the process. The Dursley's will have to relinquish all rights to Harry by signing here and here. " Fudge said pointing to different parts of the form.
"Thank you minister we will be taking care of that as soon as possible." He replied.
About half an hour later Madam Bones came into the room to get them for the next trial.
There was a wave of noise as they entered the chamber. Harry was herded by Sirius and Remus to the seats they sat in before flanked by a few auror's to keep the masses at bay.
"Order, order please." Said Fudge banging his gavel and taking his seat.
"We will now bring to the court Peter Petigrew accused of the murders of 12 people and the deaths of Lily and James Potter at the hands of he who must not be named."
Peter was dragged in silenced and rigid Harry guessed he had tries to fight. The crowd seemed out for blood he had thought that they had looked at Sirius viciously. But they looked at Petigrew like the cowardly rat he was. Like a stain beneath their shoes. The trial progressed much like Sirius's but where he was proved innocent Petigrew's testimony hung him. As the minister asked for a sentence Harry was not suprised to hear many call for him to be subjected to the dementors kiss.
The sentence was passed and Sirius and Remus stood as witness to his passing while Harry sat and talked with Madams Longbottom and Bones. When they returned a press conference had been set up in the lobby. Harry and Sirius were up on the stage with Minister Fudge.
Richard looked around thankful that only the wizarding wireless network and a few of the international papers were there. He had the scoop, that jumped up fiction writer was nowhere to be seen.
"Thank you all for coming on such short notice. Half an hour ago I ended an emergency session of the wizengamot. As you can see by Sirius Black standing here we have overturned a travesty of justice by the previous administration. It has been proved that Peter Petigrew was indeed the guilty party in revealing the location of the Potter's, resulting in their deaths. When Petigrew's traitorous deception came to light Madam Bones and I worked tirelessly to correct this. As is the law he was tried and questioned under veritaserum found guilty and subjected to the dementors kiss.I can say without a shadow of doubt Mr Black is innocent of all charges. A full account of the trials will be made available to those representing legitimate newspapers. Harry Potter and Sirius Black will make a short statement there will be no questions at this time. We at the ministry would ask you give them both their privacy at this time." Cornelius finished his speech and Sirius stepped forward, he handed Sirius a parchment with a full pardon. Then Sirius shook the Minister's hand and addressed the crowd.
"My thanks to both Madam Bones and the minister for their work to free me. I had dreamed of the time when I would be free that time has come. All I want now is to take care of my godson as Harry's parents wanted. I thank the members of the wizengamot for their help and support." As Sirius finished many reporters started to fire questions but were silenced by Fudge.
"As I said there will be no questions." He repeated. Once they quieted he continued "Mr Potter will now make a statement and I will remind you he is a minor and will not be harassed by you."
"Thank you Minister Fudge." Harry said stepping up to shake his hand. "When I learned of my parents will I never imagined the upheaval it would bring. To find out someone my parents counted as a friend to betrayer not only them but the entire wizarding world, is beyond imagining. I can only thank the swift and decisive actions of minister Fudge and Madam Bones. Justice was done and I hope that my parents can rest in peace knowing their true betrayer has been caught. Now we have  a chance to be the family that my parents intended when they made their will. I look forward to getting to know Sirius and hearing stories of my parents. I would like to ask one thing of you all, on 31st of October please raise a glass to my parents and all those who died so we might live.  Thank you for your time."
As soon as Harry finished people began shouting and flashes of light accosted them. Remus, Kingsley and Tonks helped push a path towards the floo so they could escape. Kingsley went first then Sirius, then Harry. Remus and Tonks followed soon after. Mr Weasley was facing the angry crowd with Kingsley and Sirius. It took some time but when Harry asked for quiet people listened. They briefly told the story of Sirius's innocence and Petigrew's guilt with the promise the daily profit would hold the full story. Harry wondered at that he hadn't seen Rita Skeeter amount the crowd of reporters so it just might be the full story not some made up tripe.