Chapter 22

Breakfast that morning was the usual chaos of Weasleys but Harry couldn't have been happier. After breakfast Sirius announced that they would be visiting Grimmauld Place that morning to see what work needed doing to it. Harry was deep in thought planning how to get the locket when he realised everyone was looking at him.
"Sorry I was thinking of how nice it will be to live with Sirius after all this time." He lied quickly.
"I am glad you think so pup." Sirius chuckled. "You haven't seen the state of the house yet it might take all year to get it clean."
"Is there not a service you could use?" Hermione asked. "I mean muggles have cleaning services for old houses. Don't you have something similar."
"Not as a rule most wizarding families have house elves like Dobby here." Sirius said thoughtfully. "But I suppose I could buy one or two to help us out. I know you volunteered but it might be a bit much for one elf to handle. I recall we used to have at least five elves at all times when I was a kid. Kreacher might be the only one left. He was the youngest of them. I suppose I should call him and see if he's still alive."
"What are house elves?" Hermione asked. "I mean ate they paid or what?" Her tone was not one heard often it was genuinely confused.
"Well Hermione, house elves live to serve their master's." Arthur began. "They have a symbiotic relationship with their master. The master's magic makes them stronger and able to live longer. Also it enables the elf to anticipate their master's needs and favourite foods and drinks."
"But that's still- I mean it's just like slavery, isn't it?" Hermione said shooting daggers out her eyes at Harry for owning Dobby. "What if they are mistreated or hurt or sick. Muggles have long since moved past slavery why can't wizards?"
"Hermione most witches and wizards that own house elves make them part of the family. Those that don't, those who hurt and mistreat the elves are not the nicest of folk. Please understand most elves are happy to serve and happy with their master's." Molly explained. "Their are laws in place that can be used to check on the welfare of the elves in each household and if some are mistreated or hurt they can be taken away and their ownership of future elves revoked."
"I am sure we can find some books about this in diagon alley. Or you could ask Dobby about elves I'm sure he would answer your questions." Harry added with visions of s.p.e.w raging in his mind. "Right Dobby you'll answer Hermione's questions won't you?"
"Yes master Harry sir, Dobby would be happy to answer missy Grangers questions." Dobby said dancing on the spot. "Dobby will tell all he knows."
"Thank you Dobby we will talk later." Hermione said eventually to the little elf. But Harry could tell this wasn't over s.p.e.w was still lingering on the horizon.
"Well now that that is sorted I think we should go to gringotts and aquire some more elves." Sirius said. "The sooner the cleaning is done the better. I have called a Black family meeting for the 24th so I really should have at least the hallway and dining room ready. Kreacher!"
A soft pop revealed a dirty looking familiar figure to Harry and Sirius at least.
"Master called Kreacher." The elf bowed low and mumbled something about blood traitors. "How can Kreacher server Master?" He may have asked nicely but the sneer on his face and the tone was as nasty as Snape's had ever been.
"I will be coming to the house later today and inspecting the condition. I will also be purchasing new elves to help you keep the house in a reasonable state as Harry and I will be making it our home." Sirius said making sure to flash the Lordship ring at him. "I would like a honest reply to my  question."
"Y-yes Master." Kreacher said looking shocked atthe ring on his finger.
"What state is the house of Black in?" Sirius asked.
"Not good." Kreacher answered after a few moments where he seemed to struggle with himself. "Mistress seemed to lose her mind after Master Regulas died, her orders were harsh and made on sense but Kreacher obeyed .After Mistress died Kreacher has been taking orders from Mistresses portrait. B,but the orders were to not clean and leave the beasties that moved in. Kreacher did not want to disobey so Kreacher did as he was told."
"That's alright then." Harry interrupted before Sirius could speak. "You followed orders but now you have Master Sirius to follow as head of the house of Black."
Both Kreacher and Sirius looked confused at Harry. But with an encouraging nod to his godfather Sirius added. "Yes as your new head of house I order you to go home and start cleaning. You will not take orders from a painting any more. There will be more elves along to help you soon." He said looking thoughtfully at the old elf. "Place my mother painting in the attic and make sure she is well stored."
Kreacher nodded and popped away.
"I will see about more elves and then proceed to the house." Sirius said.
"Why don't you start getting ideas for your room while I go."
"Ok. Mrs Weasley is there a catalogue or something for furniture?" Harry asked.
"Oh yes many of the shops do have them. Why don't I go and pick some up while Sirius is getting the elves and then we can get to planning the whole house." She replied excitedly rising from he chair and crossing to the door. "You boys be good and I will see you in less than half an hour." With a hug for Harry Sirius followed behind her. Hermione suggested writing down what sort of furniture he would need or want in his room and ran to get paper but before she left the room Dobby popped it on the table. With a chuckle they all sat round and began to plan.

             ----------------------------------------

As Molly was collecting the catalogues Sirius strode in to the bank and up to a teller. He waited until he had the goblins attention then spoke politely.
"Good morning, I would like to see someone about the purchase of elves please." He asked. The goblin looked a little nonplussed at the greeting but signaled to younger goblin beside him.
"Farnus will take you to the elf quarters." Adrak replied gesturing to the  hallway to the left. Sirius followed Farnus and was led to a large dormitory little beds lined one wall and tables the other a group of about 50 elves of various ages lining up in the middle of the hall.
"Lord Black." A senior looking goblin greeted him. "I am Rankurt elf supervisor.How may we be of service today?"
"Well met Rankurt. I am looking to employ at the most four elves to help clean, redecorate and maintain my home." Sirius said brightly. "Which elves would best suit my needs do you think?"
The goblin stared intently at him for several moments then nodded.
"Yes I think three elves would suit as I recall your mother always liked to keep at least five but I understand Dobby is Scion Potter's personal elf and Kreacher is still living so yes three." He said after a long calculating silence. "I believe that Tiskey, Rissy and Corbey would best suit your needs." At his words each elf stepped forward and bowed to Sirius.
"The cost of each should be removed from the Black family vault." Sirius said eyeing the elves. They certainly looked healthy and he was sure they would be a great help to him. Grimmauld Place would never be the same after these elves had finished with it. "I won't lie to you my family home has been abandoned for many years and will need some hard work to make it a home again. I know that you will be up to the task."
"Very well all that is left is the bonding, then the sum of 70,000 galleons for each elf will be taken from your family vault. 210,000 in total." Rankurt stated. He had expected the Lord to argue but he did not.
Sirius was pleased the blood money of his family would be used to start anew. After bonding with the elves he enquired whether the goblins had a service for cleansing dark objects from a old house.
"Yes Lord Black we do provide such a service, at a price of course." Rankurt said in a smug tone. "Gringotts will provide a bottomless warded trunk to transport the items in question and will cleanse or destroy each object for a relatively small fee."
"Could the objects just be destroyed? Must they be cleansed?" Sirius asked.
"You may lose some precious heirlooms and valuable information carried in the books or objects." Rankurt stated.
"I will think on it thank you for your time. May your vaults overflow and your enemies be idiots." Sirius said bowing slightly to the goblin.
"As you wish, may your ventures be profitable and your enemies be few." Rankurt was suprised that the man knew of goblins traditions. Bowing in return he thought that both Black and Potter were the wizards to watch. The future of the magical world is about to change because of them.

                 ---------------------------------

After returning with his new elves Sirius could see that Molly had indeed returned and judging by the catalogues spread around the planning was well under way.
"I see you have set about the task with vigour." He spoke from the door way.
"Sirius." Harry cried. "I am glad your back there is so much stuff on the list we can't wait to get started."
"Well pup it's a good job we have extra help then." Sirius announced. "I must introduce you too our new elves, Tiskey, Corbey and Rissy. They should have the house ship shape in no time."
"It's  nice to meet you all." Harry said coming to stand by Sirius. "I hope you never have reason to ask for clothes with us."
"Wes be thinking that Master's Doggie and Pup will bes the better Master's for us." Tiskey the eldest elf replied.
"Well I think it would be best if I called Kreacher and if you Harry call Dobby we should have enough elves to pop us over to the house." Sirius said. "Don't want to have to give another interview just yet."
Dobby and Kreacher were called and set  about introductions and dividing people into groups to be transported. Kreacher took Sirius and Harry much to Dobby's dismay. Dobby took Molly and Ginny. Tiskey followed with the twins. Ron and Hermione followed with Rissy and Mr Weasley was taken by Corbey. After feeling like he had been squeezed through a tube Harry was met with an achingly familiar sight.