Chapter 40

As Albus sat seething in his now destroyed office Harry went up to the ROR to do some destroying of his own. Opening the door and conjuring a few dummies he unleashed spell after spell, ranting out loud all the while.
That self important whiskered wanker how dare he think that he could pry Harry's secrets from him. Thank god for the Peverell ring otherwise he would have spilled all to the old git. How has he gotten away with this for so long. Oh yes he is the leader of the light, the only man Voldemort ever feared, Supreme Mugwump, Chief Warlock and Headmaster of Hogwarts. God the man had a longer title than a dark Lord. That and Harry  was sure at two of his middle names were made up. The wrinkled old sod. Why does no one ever call him on his bad decisions. I mean leaving a baby asleep on a doorstepon a cold November night with just a letter. Sticking Harry with those awful people.
As the last spell died Harry fell to his knees panting slightly.
"Well that was an impressive display." Harry jumped up startled at the Scottish burr behind him. "I dont think I have ever heard those particular words used to describe our esteemed headmaster"
Harry could see the glint of amusement in her gaze.
"Sorry Professor." Harry said lowering his wand.
"For what would you be apologising?" She asked. "The foul words you were spurting or the fact you got caught?"
Minerva had to try hard to hold back the laughter bubbling inside her. She had been worried when she caught a glimpse of his face as he hurried past. But now she knew the reason. The meddling old fool was up to his old tricks.
Harry noting the smirk that she was trying hard to conceal he relaxed.
"That I got caught." He replied.
"Well I can honestly say you are not the first to get frustrated with Albus and I an quite glad you managed to contain yourself until you reached this room." Minerva answered chuckling. As she came further into the room two armchairs appeared with as small table in between them. Guiding Harry over to one seat she took the other.
"Dotty." She called settling into her seat. "Tea for two please."
A small well dressed elf appeared and bowed to her.
"Dotty bes getting your teas Mistress." The elf spoke softly.
It was just a moment later when the tea service appeared and Minerva started to pour them each a drink.
"I cannot find it in myself to scold you for your words as I have on occasion had need to let loose my tongue on the man." She said holding the drink out to the boy. "The most recent was the day before your visit to collect the basilisk carcass. I must say that Albus had a tuff day that day as I was not the only one who had disapproved of his actions. Filius was especially insenced at his actions and was not shy about letting him know."
"I will have to thank him for that." Replied Harry relaxing now he wasn't going to be told off for his words. "He called me to his office and demanded to know things that even if I did know I wouldn't tell him as he is only my headmaster. He may have held some sway over my life before but he's no longer my magical guardian and as far as I know I have broken no laws."
"The headmaster's trouble is he's used to being told what he wants and doing as he pleases." Minerva told him taking in the bitter tone of Harry's voice. "He had yet to learn that in your case he has no control over your life."
" That's what worries me." Harry said calculating the odds he added. "I am afraid the my name is going to be entered into the tournament despite my wishes."
"Well Harry if that does happen as your legal guardian while your in school I have the power to withdraw you from the contest." She said softly seeing the worry on the boys face. "And I know Sirius will raise hell if you are put in danger."
"Thanks Minnie." Harry said with a small smile.
"Don't call me Minnie." She said sharply but her eyes betrayed her amusement. "You have been learning bad habits from your godfather."
"True I learned from the best." Harry replied cheekily.
The two lost track of time and Minerva had to escort Harry back to the tower as it was past midnight once their talk concluded. Thankfully Hermione must have got tried of waiting for him as the common room was empty. Harry went to his room and changed and was sleeping as soon as his head hit the pillow.

‐------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Harry was ambushed by both Ron and Hermione demaning answers for his actions the day before. Harry however reluctantly realised that he couldn't hide things from them any longer without permanently damaging their friendship. As it was still early he directed them to the ROR and told them a slightly edited version of what was going on. How Dumbledore had deliberately held the information about his titles and money from him. How he had sealed his parents will that proved Sirius's innocence. And the old goat's continued attempts to influence his life. Hermione tried to half heartedly defend the headmaster but she found Harry's reasoning to be sound. Ron on the other hand was indignant at the actions of the man and wanted to hex him silly. It was an idea Harry was particularly fond of and Hermione had a hell of a time trying to convince him it would get them in more trouble. After a while of nonsensical discussion Harry asked to speak to Ron alone. Harry hoped that this conversation wouldn't end their friendship.
"Mate you look nervous what's wrong?" Ron asked seeing Harry pale once Hermione left the room.
"Well.." Harry gulped and gathered his Gryffindor courage and dived in. "IkindofaskedGinnytogoflyingwithmecosIlikeherandIkindawanttoaskheroutproperly."
Harry spoke so fast that Ron had a bemused expression on his face.
"What?!" Rin asked frowning.
"I  er asked Ginny to go flying with me today." Harry replied slower than before not making eye contact.
"Ok why are you telling me?" Ron asked.
"Because.." Harry steeled himself for the explosion. "I like Ginny and I would like to date her."
Harry kept his eyes down waiting for the fireworks to begin. After a few minutes of silence Harry looked up at his best friend. Ron was bright red and Harry could see the anger in his eyes.
Ron for his part could barely believe what he was hearing. His best friend wanted to date his sister, what? When? How? How had this happened and how did he not notice. Ginny was his sister. Why did Harry have to like her. Ron was getting angry but his mind ventured to the last deep talk he'd had with Harry. Harry was a good friend and a good bloke all round really and he supposed if Ginny had to date someone it would be better if it was Harry as he knew how kind and generous Harry was. That was if Ginny even still liked Harry. She seemed to have gotten over her crush of Harry last year.
"I guess if she has to date someone I wouldn't mind so much if it was you." Ron said eventually rousing from his thoughts. "But be warned Harry you may be my best mate bur if you hurt my sister all of my brother's and I will hex you into oblivion."
"Mate if I hurt her do you think you or your brothers will get to me first." Harry chuckled relieved. "Gin would bat bogey me before any one else could."
"I know your right but we would still unleash the twins on you." Ron shrugged. "Ginny's the baby of the family and no one hurts her. I broke her favourite doll when she was nine and she got Charlie to turn my gobstones into a spider for revenge."
"Well you should know better than to mess with Spitfire." Harry laughed loudly.
"I've never heard you call her Spitfire before." Ron said
"Not out loud no." Harry replied "I've kinda been hiding this for a while and you can't deny she's fiery."
"You will never get her to say yes to a date if you say that to her face." Ron added.
"Yeah I know." Harry smiled thinking of how her eyes blazed when she was mad. "Thanks for being understanding mate."
"No worries mate." Ron said smiling himself. "But you have to tell Gred and Forge."
"Aarrhh?!" Harry groaned loudly. "Would you believe I forgot about them?"
"Ha!" Ron laughed. "You must never forget about them or they will hex you silly."
Both boys laughed for a while and left the room to hunt down some food. After lunch Harry met Ginny down by Hagrid's hut with his broom.