Freakshow...

Central City, 3 months ago

I walked up the stairs to my and Amaya's apartment, only to see her mixing dough and reading out of a cookbook. It was weird. I was normally the one that always cooked for her, not the other way around.

"Don't look!" She yelled once she saw me. "What are you doing here?"

"I live here. What's all of this?" I asked, gesturing to the mess in the kitchen.

"What part of 'I'm making your birthday surprise, stay out of the apartment' didn' you understand?"

"I thought you meant lingerie and, you know, sex, not whatever this is." I shrugged my shoulders in defense.
"I'm making donuts-" She dipped her finger in the batter and put it in my mouth. "Chocolate covered donuts- 'cause you said that they were your favorite when you were little."

"You're making them from scratch?"

"How else would I make them?"

"You do what my mom did." I laughed. "You go to the corner store and you get 'em for two bucks a box. Nobody makes anything from scratch anymore."
She sighed. "So all this was for nothing?"

"No. Donuts are never for nothing, and I'm being creative. I'm sure I can figure out a way to use that chocolate sauce." I kissed her and picked up, placing her on the counter and knocking over a bowl. We both laughed as I kissed her once more and put her down. "I got it. Don't worry. No, got it, all right." I picked the bowl up and placed it on the counter. "Five second rule, we're good. We're good."

"I'll make some more." I stopped Amaya right there.

"No, no, no, you are done. You can't do anything else. We are doing the rest of this 2017 style."

Amaya laughed again. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the corner store to get us chocolate covered donuts the way my mom used to buy them.

XXX

I returned to the apartment no more than an hour later. "All right, I got all my mom's favorites. I got chocolate donuts, crème cake..." The kitchen was cleaned and empty. The apartment was eerily quiet. "Hello? Amaya." I walked into our bedroom. The bed was made and all of Amaya's clothes drawers were cleared out. She was gone.

XXX

Present...

"Hello?" I heard Jax say, trying to snap me out of my thoughts. "Hello? Anybody home? McFly?" I snapped out of my thoughts and finally looked at him.

"Sorry guys, I was just, um... I was just thinking about donuts. Okay, so, uh, where are we?"

"I was saying I reverse engineered the Time Bureau tech that Mick stole from Rip." Ray repeated again. "Now, we can locate anachronisms too."

"Nice work, man." I congratulated him.

"Also, check this out. Our run in with Caesar got me thinking. What if there was a way to contain the anachronisms that we pick up, and not have them causing trouble on the ship or taking things they shouldn't?"

"Yeah, that's what we got the brig for." I pointed out to him.

"Well, what if we have another LA situation? Try putting a dinosaur in the brig, huh?"

"Not going to happen." Nate shook his head.
"Unless it's an Aquilops."

"Or a Compsognathus."

"Or a cute little Oviraptor."