Here I Go Again...

HAHA BIG TWIST UPCOMING!!

ALSO ENJOY YET ANOTHER SURPRISE UPDATE!

I won't sugarcoat the fact that we all looked ridiculous. Wearing our 70s disco outfits and returning to the waverider after our mission, we looked really ridiculous. As we made our way to the bridge where Zari was, the lights started to flicker on and off.

"Gideon, what's happening?"

"I was gonna ask you the same question. I thought you were fixing the ship." Sara confronted her as we all lined up beside her.

"Uh, yeah, that- that maintenance check took longer than expected. The ship's a mess." She leaned over the computer. "I had to re-initialize Gideon's alpha drives. So how'd it go out there? Good mish?"

Mick pulled a cassette out from his pocket. "I pried this cassette right out of Shorty's fingers."

"He means Napoleon Bonaparte." I instinctively corrected him.

"Waterloo." He read off of the side of the cassette. "Who writes a song about losing a war? Huh?" He dropped the cassette on the floor and stomped on it.

"Anyway, it was really great." Ray looked at Zari with an innocent smile. He then turned to me and Amaya, losing the smile. "Even though half our band missed the cue for our big encore."

"Yeah, where were you guys?" It's not like we could just speak up and tell Sara that we were having married sex in a supply closet. Instead, we both looked at each other for the answer before Amaya decided to speak up.

"It was my fault. I was just...not used to walking around in these go-go boots."

"It won't happen again, Captain." I assured her. Amaya and I awkwardly dismissed ourselves to the library.

XXX

I sat on the desk, eagerly trying to pull Amaya in. Just before our lips met, she put her finger on my lips. "No more sex on missions."

"You mean married sex." I corrected her immediately.

"What's the difference?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"The difference is we're married. It says it right in the name."

"I married a child, didn't I?"

"Oh, definitely. You married a woman with the mind of a ten year old."

She rolled her eyes. "I hate you."

"You love me."

XXX

Last I'd heard, Zari was in the medbay after being hit with some of the ship's time sludge. That obviously wasn't the case anymore when Zari had walked into the library hours later to talk to Amaya and I. She went into some time loop that sounded an awful lot like Groundhog Day.

"So you're saying it's like 'Groundhog Day.'"

"That's what I was told...by you and Nate."

"It's good to know matrix me is still a Bill Murray fan." I muttered, pleased with the version of me from Zari's mind.

"So you said you wanted to tell us something?" Amaya asked, bringing back her attention to the reason we were still here.

"Yeah, uh, it's more of a question. Gideon told me that everything I learned in my simulation was real. What I found out about you guys was that you were married. And, I mean, I hate to ask, but I don't. I'm sorry, but did that really happen?"

We both looked at each other before looking back at her. This time, it was my turn to speak up.

"Uh, yeah, we got married."

"Wow, uh, first off, congratulations. Second, you guys should probably tell the team. They're all suspecting something."

XXX

So, there we were, the whole team gathered on the bridge, ready to hear our news. It was nerve wracking to say the least.

"So, uh, thanks for joining us-" I was immediately cut off by Mick.

"Hurry up, I wanna get back to the football game."

"Um, okay." Amaya answered, simply holding up the hand her ring was on.

"Is that..." Ray seemed incapable of finishing the sentence.

"Is that an engagement ring?" Sara was the one to finish the sentence.

"Uh, it's actually a marriage ring." I held up my hand with the ring on it. "Amaya and I got married."

The room went dead silent for what seemed like an eternity. Of course, Mick was the first to speak up.

"You're an idiot."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, Amaya has to go back to 1942. So, you're an idiot for marrying her."

"Look, we know what has to happen." Amaya clarified. "We just agreed that we'd like to spend what time we have left together as wives."
"And we've both accepted it." Not true at all.

"Well, in that case, congratulations." Sara smiled and walked over, hugging us both, everybody slowly falling in line behind her.

XXX

"Hey, Nate, wait up." I chased the historian into the hallway.

"Hey, Maria." He stopped and smiled lightly when he saw my face.

"Uh, I just wanted to make sure you were cool with everything. I know how you feel about Amaya."

He hesitated before answering. "Yeah, totally okay." Maybe it was the look on his face, maybe it was the fact that something never felt right all along, but everything finally made sense to me.

"Oh my god." I muttered. Nate sighed, like his secret had just been discovered. "You were never in love with Amaya, were you?"

"I guess you finally figured it out."

"You were in love with me. Are. You are in love with me."