Chapter 6

Later that night

You watched silently as the funeral pyre burned the corpses collected from Trost. You couldn't stop thinking about Marco. Sasha might of been your first friend, but it was Marco helped you to fit in with everyone else. He meant so much to you and now...now he's nothing more than ash.

Adalhard: There you are.

Your train of thought came to a halt when you heard your father's voice behind you. You didn't look back, you were too focused on the burning pyre.

Adalhard: *sigh* You probably want to be alone, right?

You tried to say yes, but your words failed to come out. You were scarred from the horrors of Trost. You needed someone to talk to, even if you couldn't outright say it.Your father walked over and sat beside you.

Adalhard: Haven't gotten over what happened huh? I don't blame you, no one would.

Y/N: Why did you want me to join the Military Police?

Adalhard: *sigh* Well, I suppose it's time I finally told you. After all that's happened, you deserve to know.

"A long time ago, I lived in the Shiganshina District. More specifically, survived. I had no home, no family, and no one to turn to. By the time I got to your age, I realized that I had to find a way out. So I joined the military and became one of the top 10."

"Once my training was over, I became part of the Scout Regiment so I could see what laid beyond the Walls. If only I knew the hell that awaited me."

"On my first and last expedition, my squad encounter three Abnormal Titans. They didn't last along against them. I only survived because I was too scared to fight them. I left my squad for dead."

"When I got back, I left the Scouts and joined the Military Police so I wouldn't  have ever step outside the Walls again. I made a promise to myself. That promise was to make sure my children never go through the same experience I did."

Y/N: I see, so that's why you want me to become part of the Military Police so badly.

Adalhard: Yes. I know you don't want to, but I can't afford to lose you. You mean so much to me and if you died because of those damn Titans-

Y/N: I understand. You don't need to say anything else, I get it.

Adalhard: I'm... glad you do.

He slowly gets up, and you stand up beside him.

Adalhard: Let's go home, your mother is worried sick.

Y/N: Isn't she always like that?

Adalhard: *chuckles* Well, I suppose you're not wrong.