Chapter 3

It took a moment for me to snap out of my trance. Something was different about this one, but I couldn't put my finger on it. He seemed like a normal demon slayer, yet so so different. He had a bright smile, one that could melt a heart. His eyes were just like his hair, red and yellow. He held out his ticket for me to take. Something to me felt so wrong to take the ticket from him.

    "N-no. You should keep the ticket, I'll wait for the next train," I told him. Instead of leaving on the train, he pressed on about keeping the ticket.

    "It seemed important to go to your destination, I can wait," He stated.

    "Are you really sure?"

    "Of course, you don't need to worry!" I was hesitant at first but then I took it. His smile seemed to brighten as I took the ticket from his hands. My face suddenly felt warmer as I shyly smiled back.

    "Thank you…"

    "Rengoku. My name is Kyojuro Rengoku." The trains whistle blew and I felt a rush of relief disappear.

    "Ah! Thank you Rengoku-san! I hope to see you in the near future!" I told him as I ran for the train. When I got on, the train started to go. I looked back and saw Rengoku waving with the arm the crow wasn't on. I waved back until he was out of sight. Luckily, I walked back into the train cars and found an empty seat. Families sat with each other and good friends. 

    My thoughts ran back to Rengoku who had been so kind. What am I thinking, I thought to myself. He's a demon slayer, if anything he's going to wind up dead in a matter of days or weeks because of his job.

    The seats were cushioned and comfortable for sleeping easily. But if anything, I wasn't going to be sleeping anytime soon. Maybe there is just something wrong with me. Or maybe it could be him. Whatever it is, I shouldn't care. Millions of thoughts cascaded through my mind like a flowing stream of water. Only one caught my attention. Will I ever see him again?

    I hit my head against the window for that thought. If I was growing weak, I might as well wind up dead. My mind hurt from all of this. (Or you hit your head too hard on the window.) Rengoku was odd. I couldn't explain any further. And what is odd, doesn't fit into a world of normal, that's for sure. Things are harder being odd. No one wants to know you well. Maybe I just want to know him since I'm odd. Or it's just me being odd and he's too normal.

    The conductor of the train came down the aisle, hole puncher in hand. I held onto the ticket and gave it to the man. Once hole punched, he gave it back to me. I looked down at my hands and at the ticket, the question sticking with me like a parasite to a host. Will I see him again?

    He wouldn't want to. He'd hate me if he knew what I was. He'd try to slay me once he finds out. It wasn't like he'd find out. At  a young age my mom died but left something behind. The blue spider lily. Father was after that flower and upon finding mother had an ability to grow and manipulate plants, he'd want it. The problem was that she could only make one blue spider lily. And she chose to give it to me.

    Muzan never knew about it. If he did, he'd kill me and take the power for himself. That made things harder when it came to living in the same household. That’s why sneaking out was a frequent thing. He caught me doing it once, but I've done it way more than that. Mom was beautiful as Muzan said. Black hair, e/c eyes, and s/c skin. She died because of a demon slayer as he told me. I was only seven by then. She had a box for me, saying when I was fifteen I had to open it in secret. 

    Within it, the lily was there and a note. An instruction saying to not let anyone know about it. Muzan had tried to train me to see if I had mom's ability but I only inherited his ability. More and more thoughts about mom came to mind. Why can't I remember her well? Will I ever find the demon slayer who took her life? Where did all the time with us together, as a family, go?