Chapter 11

Day 5

   Rengoku had been busy looking around for demons. It was no surprise since he was a demon slayer after all. The thing i was afraid of was him finding out that I was a demon. From the looks of it, however, I think I won't need to worry about it. I just have to keep my eye on him. After the last time he said he would hang out later, he didn't. He had been obsessing over finding me, I found it funny but at the same time, scary.

   What if he knows what kind of demon I am? I come here for a safe life and no more killing people. I think of him as a friend. If he wants to kill me, that might me I have to just end him quickly. If I'm caught, who knows what father might do to me. My mind played back scenario after scenario of the terrible things that might happen if I was found. It consumed me from the inside, as if a giant black hole was harboring in me and about to erase me. I couldn't let this stress take me over and contemplated whether I should just hide for good, of ignore it.

   Ignoring it would be easier. If I just left, who knows how Yūkan and Nozomi may react. I care about them. They are like the siblings I never had. They were kind but could be stubborn or hot headed sometimes. (Way less of a biotch [Bee-aw-ch] than Muzan I'll tell you that).

   Today was going to be an odd day folks. Starting with the fact that Yūkan asked me if I would go on a walk with him. Talk to him for a little bit. And of course, since I'm a nice person, I said yes. It was around twelve-ish and I had nothing better to do. Yūkan already went shopping for supplies and food, while Nozomi went to work. I was just the resident and nothing I did seemed to matter. But there was a suspicion rising in me about why they let me stay rent free.

   Do they work for Muzan? Are they just weird and like taking random people from the streets? Am I just that attractive they'd do anything? Am I going to be sold off to the Entertainment District? I tried to not think about the last one. That scenario would just make them wind up dead. But my killing days were over. I guess I would need to get a job myself and move out if that means Nozomi and Yūkan are safe.

   I had my room all perfectly cleaned and organized before I walked out of the house. Yūkan was there, waiting for me. He smiled and as I walked up to him, I saw he had f/f in his hand.

   "How did you know these were my favorite?" I asked him.

   "Oh, I just bought f/f because those were the most beautiful ones in the market. What, no 'thank you Yūkan, your sooooooooo cooooool?'" He said.

   "Maybe not cool, but nice. Thanks but I'm still suspicious. What's the gesture and what are you planning?" He put the flowers in my hands and patted my head.

   "Can't a guy buy his best friend some flowers and say she looks beautiful like every day?" My face went a little red.

   "Umm... I still don’t understand so we should just go for that walk. I'll put the flowers in the vase in my room." I walked into the house and put the bouquet of flowers into the vase. I went back to the door and since I was fast with putting away the flowers, he didn't think I was back.

   "That was quick," Yūkan said, adjusting his shirt.

   "You wanted to go walk around, we can do it before it gets too hot," I tell him. There were some people out today, walking and buying things either alone or with someone else. We began walking and passed by many homes and stores. I had no idea if it was a casual walk where we would talk, or one where he took me somewhere. Well, he didn't talk at all. I had to break this awkward silence somehow.

   "The clouds look nice today," I said casually. He just looked at me with a weirded out face. 🤨. Then he burst out laughing.

   "I think you smelled those flowers too hard today," Yūkan said as he got his laughter under control. I started to giggle a bit. He tugged on my sleeve and pointed ahead of us. There was a local market, selling all sorts of items. Food, toys, weapons, gadgets, books, children, small birds, jewelry, etc.

   "Oh, whats this?" I asked him.

   "Every year we have a celebration for the demon slayers protecting us. So we sell things, make things, watch the fireworks, and honor and tell stories of the demon slayers." There were some wire hung above the place that held hand made paper lanters and flowers tied onto it. There were all sorts of stands that sold individual things. It was a yearly flea-market I presume.

   "Why bring me early?" He turned to me, his grin big and his excitement overwhelming his body.

   "So you can get an early grab at something you want." My smile faded a bit.

   "Oh, I couldn't do that. You and Nozomi did so much for me already, I don't want you to spend money on stuff I don't need."

   "Sure I can, your my friend after all." (My friend, ALL THE TIME. STOP BUYING ME STUFF BECAUSE I OWE YOU SO MUCH MORE THAN MY FRIENDSHIP AND YOU SHOULD JUST STOP SAYING I CAN'T BUY YOU STUFF!!!!! WHAT THE HECK GEORGIE!)

   "I-" Someone cut me off when they walked up to me and Yūkan.

   "Hi y/n, I didn't expect to see you here. Who's this?" Rengoku asked, running up to me. I tucked my hair behind my ear and smiled gently. My face was already turning red. Stop it, your supposed to be out here having fun.

   "I'm Yūkan, y/n's friend. Who are you?" He didn't seem to notice that this was a demon slayer who he talked so greatly about. I could tell there was something in his voice. Irritation, worry, and... jealousy or maybe venom?

   "I am Kyojuro Rengoku, demon slayer. Me and y/n first met at the train station a few months back and I am here on a scouting mission. I have also heard of your tradition here, I'm glad I will be able to see it." Yūkan and Kyojuro began to glare at each other a bit until they realized I was still here. What was that about? Yūkan and Rengoku never seemed to be hostile types to anyone.

   "Why don't we take a break? Maybe get to know each other?" I said. This could allow them to warm up to each other. If they won't fight, then everything will be fine. The boys were quiet, not speaking for a while.

   "Fine," Yūkan said, "I guess that could work."

   For the rest of the day, we looked at stuff, ate food, and tried to initiate conversation but they didn't seem to get along. It was around midnight, and the lanterns had candle lights in them. The people were getting ready to light the fireworks, and others were dancing and singing. I sat on the ground while Rengoku and Yūkan went to get some more food. As the people lit the fireworks, the wind picked up and the fireworks went up and swirled as they exploded. It was a pretty twist to the show.

   Just then, the sound of something being knocked over and crashed was heard. I turned back to see Yūkan, laying on a broken shop stand with the table busted, the merchant looking extremely confused and shocked, and Rengoku, standing there with his hands balled up into a fist. I got up and ran to Yūkan. His face was bruised and he had a broken nose, blood came running down. Rengoku hit him into the stand that was at least 20 feet away from where he was.

   "Are you okay?" I cried. He got up and put his hand on his head. Rengoku came over quickly. Yūkan continued to glare at Rengoku

   "I'm fine, let's just leave y/n," Yūkan  said. He got up and gripped onto my hand, leaving the plaza and Rengoku. The people looked shocked at the demon slayers outburst. As was I. Why would he hit Yūkan?