Chapter 16

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Aisha's POV

"They died because I killed them," I said. Every word felt like the most bitter lemon on the entire farm.

"What are you saying?" Riri asked, sitting up in her position as she looked at me with wide eyes.

I looked away, to the roof and beyond that. "They-" I gulped once. Twice. Thrice. "They were coming back for my birthday."

My thirteenth birthday had to be the most special one. Though every birthday was special for me, I was entering my teenage years and I wanted my parents to celebrate with me. What? Nobody should have spoiled me that much.

I jumped from the fourth stair, running toward the entrance door as I peeked outside. Papa and mummy were still not here. Why did they have to go a thousand kilometres away from me, again? Yeah, because papa had work to do. I wanted them here. Tilting my head on the wall, I glanced at the wristwatch.

Eleven thirty-two in the night.

"Come on, gudiya. Come inside. They will be here in the evening." I heard Rahul bhaiya's voice from the living room.

"Evening?" I said, as I turned around and saw Rahul bhaiya with his arms crossed around his broad chest. He had been doing gym recently, which made him look more toned with huge biceps. He never failed to show it off to anyone, given a chance. "But I want them in the morning."

He walked closer to me, placing his hand on my shoulder as he pulled my ponytail with another free hand. I whimpered in pain, and he took advantage of my motion to lock the door by circling his arms over my head and clicking the lock, swinging the keys between his fingers.

"Well, well. Little piglet is still little," he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "Humpty dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. Oops! how did he fall? I pushed him off the wall." I said.

"Baseless broken humour. I think I know what I have to give you for your birthday. A great book with jokes of your age"

"Anyways, I was referring to you as Humpty Dumpty. I want to talk to them, right now."

As if in the queue, my phone from the centre table of the living room rang. I ran in the direction of my phone, flying over the couch headrest, as I sat picked up the phone and placed it on my ear.

"Papa,"

"Am I in trouble?" He asked.

"Of course you are. Where are you? When are you coming back? You know it's my birthday tomorrow and you both are away. Tell me you both will be here before I open my eyes."

He cleared his throat from the other side, meanwhile, I felt the soft couch dipping with bhaiya's weight. I turned my head and saw him mouthing the word 'speaker'.

I switched to the speaker, not hearing any voice from the other side. "hello?" I repeated with furrowed brows.

"Yes, yes. So, the thing is we are not coming in the morning." papa said, his deep voice merely a whisper. I heard the clattering of bangles from a distance and knew immediately that mummy was sitting around him.

"What do you mean you are not coming in the morning?" bhaiya asked. I nodded with my ears stuck to the speaker with utmost attention to examining their next words, my mind plotting revenge against bhaiya for pulling my ponytail.

"Hi, Mera bacha," mummy said in her honey dripping voice which instantly made the frown on my and bhaiya's forehead wash away. We felt calm within a split second. "I promise we are going to celebrate your birthday together tomorrow. But, the work we came here for is still not done. With one last meeting in the morning, I promise we will straight away go to the airport and come to you. Till then, be the good girl you are, hmm? Spend the day with Rahul, and then we are all yours. okay?"