Chapter 26

श्रेयो हि ज्ञानमभ्यासाज्ज्ञानाद्ध्यानं विशिष्यते |
ध्यानात्कर्मफलत्यागस्त्यागाच्छान्तिरनन्तरम् || 12||

śhreyo hi jñānam abhyāsāj jñānād dhyānaṁ viśhiṣhyate
dhyānāt karma-phala-tyāgas tyāgāch chhāntir anantaram

Better than mechanical practice is knowledge; better than knowledge is meditation. Better than meditation is renunciation of the fruits of actions, for peace immediately follows such renunciation.

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Aisha's POV

"Hang these garlands over there," I shouted to bhaiya who was of no help today. Even though he was well built physically, household chores were a near impossible task for him to do.

"How much decoration do you need? This is enough," He said with a sigh as he sat on the sofa.

I stood in the centre of the living room, roaming my eyes around everywhere to examine the lights on the window and balcony, the earthen lamps at every corner of the floor and garlands on every window and door. Diwali had always been the festival of lights, and I took it to my heart especially when I would be celebrating it with bhaiya after four years. Everything had to be perfect.

"I swear old grandpas work more than you do," I said as I walked into my room and lit up the candles.

It was night, and soon we would be worshipping and praying. The doorbell echoed in the quiet silence of the room, a smile spreading over my lips. We invited the McOwen family to celebrate the festival with us, and they were delighted to shift their schedule. God! How did I get so lucky to know such wonderful people?

With one last glance at the light makeup on my face, I fixed the tendrils away from my eyes. With the help of life-saving bobby pins, my messy bun looked perfect with two roses to the sides. The black cut sleeve blouse contrasted with my navy blue cotton saree, which bhaiya bought me from India. I nearly fainted when he gave it to me because he knew mummy had the same saree in her closet very well. Nodding to myself, I ran into the kitchen, picking up the copper plate with an earthen lamp, tilak, and raw rice.

Bhaiya opened the door, and Riri stepped inside looking gorgeous as hell in sea green lehenga which we both selected for her to wear. Then came Alex and Teresa, both dressed in kurtas and pants. My heart swelled with pride and- damn it! I feel at home.

Maybe we are finally home? A voice at the back of my mind said.

Like a fresh wind of the first spring, I felt his presence before I saw him as if my body sensed a life-giving aromatic tonic. Maybe he was that to me. Maybe I was being over dramatic. Aaron's tall figure stood in the corner, eyes moving from right to leave until they landed on me. Why was the earth not moving? Why was I so captivated under those honey brown eyes like my own pool of long-burning flames of the sun?

No, the earth was moving. The time was ticking. It was me. And my stupid heart beat so fast that it would jump out. He looked like the most handsome man in those sea-blue kurta and white pants. At least to me, he looked like that. Like-like a- like a god damn-

Fuck it.

Clearing my thoughts, I walked in front of them and faced Alex with a smile on my lips. He returned the gesture with an equal beaming smile, patting my forehead like he always did. I placed a small dot of tilak between his brows and rotated the plate which was illuminated with the golden light from the earthen lamp. Once done, I leaned down and touched his feet. He looked down at me with knitted brows, making me and bhaiya snort. As I moved to Teresa. and repeated the steps, Bhaiya touched Alex's feet and then Teresa's.