Chapter 8

"There you are?" Ryder sighs tiredly, walking over to where I was standing, he wraps his arms around my waist resting his head on my shoulder.

"Hey, sorry I was waiting for you to get back." I said as I opened yet another file folder. "How is he?"

"He's doing okay?" Giving me a slight squeeze he changed the subject "Sorry about the brunch with your mother, I'll make sure I talk to Chris."

"Oh there's no need for that." I already took care of Chris, plus I think it went pretty well," I mumble as I sip my glass of wine. "My family and your crazy stalker all at one table. Oh and let's not forget the Privilege Prince was here as well." I laugh lightly.

"Are you going to tell me what transpired between you and your henchman?" He inquires as I shuffle through the various photos in front of me.

"The men in my Uncle's ranks are taught to look for various nonverbal commands. For example brushing my thumb along my jaw with my fingers curled in would mean tail the target I'm looking at." I answer distractedly as my eyes linger on one particular photo.

"And tapping the table?" he mumbles as he kisses my neck.

I hum softly as I smile thinking about what had transpired during brunch.
Two hours earlier

~~Flashback To A Few Hours Ago~~

"Okay so one way for people to really feel connected to a family is to share a meal with them." Stephanie chimed in as they brought in cameras and lighting. "Food symbolizes togetherness in most homes, it's the only time of day where families can bond. So for today's segment we're going to be doing brunch."

Clapping her hands together Lisa had outdone herself as catering uniforms came out with trays. Ryder furrowed his brows in confusion. I'm pretty sure he was thinking exactly what I was thinking. What the hell?

"Mother, what is all of this?" I questioned.

"What does it look like, Jada?" She was motioning for the caterers on where to set the food. "I called in a little favor with Chef Pierre. Honestly he is one of the best chefs in New York, what else would we have eaten?"

"How about the food I made before you guys showed up unannounced." Sarcasm dripped from my voice as I rolled my eyes.

"You have a fiancé who is used to luxury Jada. How are you supposed to keep a man if you cook like that?" She walked to the table and opened a box pulling out plates and silverware. "Besides that disgusting ethnic food is not going in my good china, Jada."

"If only Abuelita knew that's how you felt about the food you grew up eating." I say sadly, but the falter in her movements didn't go unnoticed. "I wonder how she would feel hearing you call your culture's recipes 'disgusting ethnic food.'"

Her mother was always a sore subject for her. They had a big fight years before I was born. Aunt Sarah said that Abuelita didn't trust Robert and told my mother she had a choice to make; him or the family. So when she chose the wife of a Governor my grandmother disowned her and never looked back.

"Don't be so condescending, Jada." She hissed as she continued to put the dinnerware out. "I just think our supporters want to see us eating something familiar."

Talking to her was like talking to a damn brick wall. She's so stubborn, and so goddamn frustrating. Walking back into the living room where I left Ryder and Max. Stephanie was directing the camera crew to film Robert and Ryder together who now sat together. Luke was sitting next to Robert until she had him move, claiming Ryder sitting next to him with River in his arms was a much better shot.

"So Governor, how does it feel to be a grandfather?" She inquires, cuing the cameraman to start rolling.

"Becoming a grandfather was like a dream to me. I still can't believe..." Robert's voice trailed off as I tuned him out. My step-father and I have never been close so for him to exploit my family to boost his career, especially my daughter, is just low.