Chapter 30

Ryder's  POV

"And you're going to pay me how much?" Colton asks, staring at me in confusion.

He was one of Don Leo's soldiers I'd incarcerated three years ago. These men despised me, but they immensely enjoyed money and freedom even more. I knew I had enemies in here before I came, but there's nothing money and a slightly reduced sentence can't fix.

"A hundred grand," I state, with my focus locked on the shiv he's wielding. I pinned him against the wall when he lunged at me. Since I arrived, I haven't had a single ally—clever thinking on the part of that jerk, Luke.  After releasing him with a shove, I stepped back, looking around to ensure we were not visible to the cameras and guards. "All you have to do is stab me where I specify... once" I added the last portion because the previous person had been stab-happy.

"What will I do with a hundred thousand dollars here." His arms lifted subtly, letting me know he was ready to pounce.

"Colton, you only have three months left in here. I know you and your girlfriend could use the money."

"She has been talking about moving to San Francisco." He mutters to himself, scratching his overgrown, unkempt beard.

"I can have the funds in her account by tonight." I persuade him and know I have him when I see hope in his eyes.

"You've got a deal, Young or whatever the hell you go by."

"It's Young. They have the wrong guy."

"Yeah, I saw that shit on the news. The bastard even shot your fiancé."

"What?" I say, but it's too late, and I let out a hiss of pain when Colton stabs me. "Damn it."

I felt the shiv slip away from my side as Colton was forced against the wall again, gasping for breath. Adrian had him by the throat, one hand raising him off the ground.

"You're about to kill my lawyer."

Grabbing Adrian, I force him away from Colton. I grunted in pain as blood poured out of my jumpsuit. "He wasn't going to kill me," I hissed, then turned back to Colton. "We had a bargain, which was subsequently diminished because you attacked me in an unanticipated area."

"That's cool with me," Colton states gasping for air.  "It was worth it. Staring at these damn walls for three years will piss anyone off."

"Do you have a death wish?" Adrian states harshly as he looks around the room his jaw clenched as he tried to calm down.

"I don't intend to die; I simply need to get out of here."

"We all have the goal of getting out but your antics will ruin my chances greatly if you're dead."  He spits as we come face to face.

"I don't remember asking you for your protection."

"No, you didn't, but your sweet little wife is a master negotiator." He smirks as I freeze.

"What did you do, Adrian?" I advance, ready to knock him on his ass.

"Young," a guard calls my name.

"Ah, right on time," Adrian smirks and my fists clench. "You might want to think twice before you sully your good name." he begins backing away. "Stupid of you to ask the rookie to help you but the blood is a nice touch."  As the guards' voices grow closer, he retreats further into the shadows.

My eyes shift towards Colton who's still standing there catching his breath. "You might want to get out of here before they add more time."

Nodding his head, he scrambles and runs in the opposite direction of the approaching foot steps. Leaning against the wall I put pressure on my wound.