Chapter 24

Laughing out loud, Ryder grabs my hand, twirling me around the room. Pulling me close to his chest, he starts softly singing the song. It seems like he had too much of Natalia's homemade eggnog.

I'd never seen this side of him before, but I loved it. He's usually in control and serious most of the time, but now he's more relaxed and just being in the moment with me. I should get him drunk more often. He's a delight. He even picked River up and sang an Italian song to her. Her face lit up like the Fourth of July as he swayed around the room.

Flashes were going off as River frantically pulled the wrapping paper off her. Just as she ripped off another piece, her little mouth formed into a tiny O, and at the order of his wife, Alessandro snapped another photo. He was capturing each moment, from the smiles to the accidents. Like when Ryder tripped over the table when he rushed to dance with me to his favorite Christmas song, Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande.

The night may have started weird, but it was one of the best since Ryder, and I got together. No one was chasing us, no mistress, and no one died. I never wanted this night to end.

As River opens the last gif,t Martha walks into the room with a phone in her hand. "Sir, you have a phone call from your brother."

Peering at his watch, Alessandro mutters something that sounds like every night. Handing the camera to his wife, he kisses her forehead. Moving over to Ryder and me, he pats him on the back. Turning around, Ryder shakes his hand, but Alessandro hugs him.

"It was terrific to see you. Keep in touch, Ryder; your aunt misses you. "He released him, and his eyes held such sincerity and something else. Placing his hand on Ryder gives his uncle's shoulder a tight squeeze. Noticing me watching the two of them, a mask covers their face, and there is no emotion. "Jada, it was very nice to meet you. Take care of my nephew, okay." Pulling me into a hug, Alessandro gives me a tight squeeze before exiting the room.

"What was all of that about?" I eye Ryder when he tries to pull me back into a slow dance. He gives me a look of confusion, but it comes off as amusement because he's so drunk.

"That is just a man past his prime and looking to spend more time with his family." Natalia chuckles while getting off the floor. Picking up River, who's resting on a nest of pillows, she makes her way toward us. "It's getting pretty late. I think this little one is ready for bed."

Glancing down at his watch, Ryder nods his head in agreement. "You're right, Zia. I think it's time we head out. We have a flight to get ready for. "

Taking a sleeping River from Natalia, she hums. "Giovanni always calls Alessandro at three in the morning. He's always had a hard time sleeping. You probably don't want to catch a flight tired and hungover. I will have Martha fix you some decaffeinated coffee to go.

As Martha exits the room, I assist Ryder sitting on the couch. Once he's happily seated, I place River in his lap, and he starts making funny faces at her while she runs her fingers across his beard. Picking up the gift with Natalia, I helped her put them in the bag.

"I would say that our fake Christmas was a success." Her voice is filled with pride. "I took some fantastic pictures. I will send them to you. Maybe you can hang them up in your apartment.

"That would be amazing. We haven't had the opportunity to take any family photos because of everything happening."

I did want to capture these moments for River. It was already going to be hard for her with us as her parents, but I still wanted her to feel like she had a normal life.

Martha returns with a thermos and gives it to Ryder, ensuring he takes a few sips. You can tell that she takes pride in taking care of this family. She would offer to take pictures of Natalia and Alessandro together, or how she would dote on River, who made such a colossal mess—because she didn't want to stay in one spot to open gifts. Even during our fake Christmas, Natalia ensured she had a few presents—which is odd since she said she had these from last Christmas.