Epilogue

Two Years Later

Jada's POV

I tapped my fingers in annoyance as I sit in the stuffy office of Dennis Martin. It's not every day that your mother's lawyer calls you in for an important meeting two years after her death. Sitting across from him–Angel on my right– the lawyer nervously wipes his brow. Marco and Dante are standing behind me. Even though it's late in the day, it had to be done.

"Th-thank you very much for coming, Mrs. Young." His stuttering makes me laugh. When Robert was around, he was a shark; it amazes me how the mighty become timid little rats when encountering a true predator.

"I hope that this doesn't take too long, Mr. Martin." I have an important date with my husband coming up." As I check my watch, I say, sounding almost bored.

"Right, right." As he fiddled with the papers on his desk, he stuttered once more. "Well, as you know, Farrah received most of Robert's estate."

"I'm well aware of this; what is the purpose of this meeting?" Angel peered down at my fingers as they tapped against my arm, waiting for the command.

"Well, we found your mother's will, and it appears that she left you quite a bit," he added, holding out a thick yellow envelope shakily. Angel gives him a slight nod before collecting the envelope and slipping it inside his jacket. The location where you can pick up her belongings is listed on that envelope, along with the location's keys.

"Well, thank you, Mr. Martin," I say as we rise from our seats and leave his office. As we depart, you could see him relax visibly.

"You didn't have to scare the poor man, boss," Angel murmurs as we approach the doors and make our way to the car.

"It's not my fault the man lacks a spine, but I guess that's what happens when you no longer have a governor in your pocket," I shrug as Angel opens my door.

*****

It had been a few days after the meeting with my mother's lawyer, and now I was standing outside a house that not even Robert knew existed. The little Spanish-style home was on a hill in an isolated neighborhood, and it was a house I could never imagine Lisa residing in. I stood before a one-story home that appeared to have been abandoned long ago. With a key in hand, I'm about to reveal one of Lisa's many secrets.

"Tesoro?" Ryder's soothing voice cut through my thoughts, and I couldn't help but grin as I stared at my husband. As his gaze roamed over me in concern, he stood there with Max babbling on his hip and River's hand grasping his. "We don't have to do this right now or at all, I can send someone else to handle it."

"No, we don't. Nevertheless, there was a purpose why she left it to me. It would also be wonderful to have some sort of closure."I sigh when I take another look at the house.

Walking over to the house, I take a deep breath, insert the key, and step into the final possession that my mother left me. The interior was just as lovely as the exterior, with a high vaulted ceiling and an authentic Tuscan flair. The open living room and kitchen floor plan, including a breakfast nook, could be seen as you entered the foyer.

River squeals with glee as she dashes for the kitchen's glass sliding door that leads to the expansive backyard. "Daddy, look at all the pretty flowers," she exclaimed as she took in the array of colors before her. "Auntie Dahli would like!" She presses her face against the glass.

"Ah, Passerotta (Sparrow), I see." He chuckled as he passed through the house, inspecting the surroundings. He appeared at ease on the surface, but I could always see the underlying anxiety in his eyes. I suspect that fear becomes a permanent fixture in your life when you come so close to losing your family as much as we have.