Chapter 21: I understand Bakugo being an ass, but what's your deal?

Cyra's POV

Sunlight warmed my skin as I sat next to the open window. I looked up from my book at a knock on my door. The carpet padded my footsteps. I opened the door and gave Iida a small smile. "Hey, how are you doing? I'm sorry for missing lunch. I got sick the night before last, and Bakugo didn't want me to head out yesterday because I wasn't feeling a hundred percent."

His brow slightly creased. "Oh. I thought he was lying, and you didn't want to hang out with me. But Aizawa is here. He wants everyone to get dressed in the training uniform. We are supposed to meet him in the living room."

"Oh..." I struggled to find the right words. "I guess I'll see you in a few minutes downstairs."

Mr. Aizawa beckoned Izuku and me away from the rest of the class. "Izuku, I know you don't have a quirk anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't use this time to make a signature move." He turned to me and sighed. "I do need you to use your quirk, please. The doctors told me that you had some internal injuries from your refusal to use your flames."

"I know. I don't want to become that sick again." He nodded and gestured for me to go.

As I walked, I called Eterna out. She landed on my shoulder and leaned her head against mine. "I heard your thoughts. The best way for me to help you is by melting and bonding completely with you."

My heart began to sink. "Melting and bonding with me? That doesn't sound good. I thought that we were already bonded."

"We are partially bonded. So you get a little bit of a boost to your power, and I have a place to call home. If I finish the bonding, we will become one. My power will become yours to control freely."

"No way!" I sat down on a boulder, and she hopped down to face me. "I can't lose you! Becoming one means that you won't come out anymore, right?"

Eterna trilled softly. "That is true, but I have grown attached to you. I want to protect you the best that I can. I think it's the best option for the both of us."

"But wouldn't you be able to protect me better if you could fly around? And you still have so much life to live!"

She rubbed her beak against my leg in an attempt to soothe me. "I have been around for an eternity. Why do you think I am Eterna? I've been looking for someone worth giving my power to for a long time. I'm tired and ready to finally rest."

I wiped a tear from the corner of my cheek. "Why me? I'm not worthy, and my selfishness proves it."

"You are way more worthy than you realize. Please let me do this."

My breath shook as I wrapped my arms around myself. "But I'm not ready." She flapped her wings and landed in my lap. I sighed. "Fine. What can you tell me about it?"

"Your fire will be hotter and more powerful. And your control over all flames will improve. Try making a pair of wings out of your fire once we have finished bonding. You might be able to use them to fly and as a weapon that you could shoot towards your opponents." I nodded and made mental notes as I listened. Eterna sighed and looked away from me. "This process could take a while, so I want you to lie down and close your eyes as I finish the bonding."

I did as she asked and closed my eyes as I lay on the boulder. She sunk into my chest above my heart. It started as a warm feeling, but my chest grew hotter, and the heat spread throughout my body. The heat became almost unbearable. My blood felt like it was on fire, and my bones felt like they would turn to ash. Black spots danced in the edges of my vision, slowly taking over.

I first noticed whispers as I came to. "Why do the twins always end up in a hospital bed? Do I need to do something about your teaching, Shota?"

I shifted slightly and watched Mr. Aizawa and Recovery Girl continue their conversation. "I don't know why she fainted! We were working on creating our special moves. Izuku was getting the hang of fighting with knives, so I left him to practice, and I found Cyra passed out on the ground."