Chapter 26: Team Bonding

"Hearth and Todoroki!" Aizawa crossed his arms. "You two are up next."

I gently twisted from side to side and sighed as my back popped. Sparing against Todoroki was definitely not what I wanted, but maybe the extra training we've been doing in the evenings together will pay off.

My flames licked my fingers and engulfed my hand as I took my starting position. Todoroki lept forward and used his ice to propel himself faster. I stayed still until the last second, when I carefully moved slightly to the side, throwing his weight off as he threw a punch.

I grabbed his arm and hooked a foot around his ankle, sending him to the ground. As he fell, he pulled me down with him, but he used his ice to freeze his feet and stop himself from falling while I continued. My elbow hit the ground first and a burst of pain radiated through my arm. "Fuck."

His brow creased, but he didn't falter. Ice began crawling around me, encasing me, but I focused my fire into my shoulder blades and created my wings out of fire. I hurried to my feet after melting the ice.

Todoroki and I were trapped in what felt like a dance. Both of us predicting the other's moves. Neither able to get the advantage. We kept swinging and blocking hits until I tripped and fell over. Todoroki tripped over me and landed on top of me. His breath gently puffed on my cheek as I noticed how close we were and how our heartbeats seemed to be in sync. Red and white hair created a shield from the outside world as my eyes flicked from Todoroki's eyes to his lips.

Angry at myself, I shoved him off me and rolled on top of him. He stared up at me with his cheeks turning a light pink as I hurried to tie the capture rope around both of his wrists.

I picked myself up and hurried away as Aizawa announced I was the winner. Mina raised her hand for a high five and groaned when I didn't give it to her. "Come on, man. You beat Todoroki! It's almost like revenge for the sports festival." I didn't respond, my brain still foggy as I processed what happened. She seemed to pick up on my thoughts and smirked. "Sooo. You guys were looking pretty close there. Any chance..."

My heart picked up, and I felt my face and ears warming. "Mina!"

She laughed. "So, have you at least begun to recognize your feelings for Todoroki?"

I shifted my weight and avoided eye contact. "Um... Of course not. It's just..." My voice trailed off, so I turned the attention to Izuku's fight. "I'm so proud of my little brother! Look at him with his knives!"

Mina rolled her eyes at my antics and watched as Izuku swiped calculatingly with his knives. "Wow. He is super precise! Watching him, it almost looks like he has an analysis-type quirk with the way he is moving and clearly stabbing at only specific spots."

I nodded proudly. "Yep! He's been spending lots of his free time with Nezu, so his analysis skills have improved, and they were already way better than anyone else's beforehand. He also took an internship at Nighteye's agency. Mirio from the big three took a liking to him and made the introduction. It sounds like all three of the big three have recommended people from our class to work studies. Nejiri invited Tsu and Uraraka to work with her. Kirishima pressured Tamaki into introducing him. I also got an invitation to work with Kirishima."

Mina's jaw dropped. "Why didn't you accept? You could have worked alongside one of the big three!"

I laughed. "Easy, really. I already have a work-study." I paused for the desired amount of suspense. "I'm working with Nezu."

Mina swayed slightly and grabbed onto my arm. "You are doing a work-study with Nezu?! As in, the principle? How? What? Why?"

My laughter increased. "Yep, the principle."