Visiting An Old Friend

The next morning, April had explained to me her plan. I rolled my eyes and gave her the silent treatment. Her brilliant idea to get the vigilante story going, was to print off the pictures of the baby turtles and all the symbols that had been found at the crime scenes and bring it all to channel six to speak with Bernadette Thompson. She had stayed up all night working on it. I didn't speak to her, which she quickly found annoying. But I did go with her to Channel 6.

I waited outside with Vern, arm's crossed, leaning back against the van. April came out with a box in her hands.

    "Lose your job, did ya?" I scoffed.

    "Yes, Y/n. I did." April sniffled and glared at me.

    "O'Neil, it could've been worse." Vern said to her softly.

    "I just got fired, Vern. How could it be worse?"

    "Maybe it's good. Maybe you should take a little time, take care of yourself and your sister." He suggested.

    "I don't need taking care of." I reminded him with a scoff.

    "Come on, let me give you a ride." Vern ignored me and spoke sweetly to April.

Oh, how he didn't realize he was never going to get with her.

    "Not unless you're going to the Eric Sacks estate." April moved away from him and Vern chased her down. "I'm not giving up on this story."

    "Why do you need to go see, Sacks?" I asked confused furrowing my brow.

    "You need to put that to bed." Vernon warned her.

    "I agree with Vern!" I voiced, while rolling my eyes.

    "That's a first." Vern pointed out.

    "Would all those other great reporters that you work with, would they have, 'put it to bed'?" April asked angrily.

    "No, That's different." Vern sighed.

    "How is it different?" April argued. "They all started exactly where I am, right?"

Vern sighed and grabbed the box from April's hands. I rolled my eyes and crawled into the back of the van.

    "I'm not driving the Channel 6 news van onto the Sacks estate." Vernon rolled his eyes as he traveled to the van.

    "Who asked you to do that?" April scoffed following after him.

    "Uh, you did." Vern pointed out. "And a thanks would've been nice."

    "Maybe one day you're gonna be thanking me." April shot back at him as she climbed into the passenger seat.

    "So, what do you want with Eric Sacks?" Vern asked starting up the van.

    "Our Dad used to work for him." I explained from the back seat, as he handed me April's box of stuff.

    "He's the only person that's gonna be able to tell me whether or not I'm crazy." April explained with a nod.

I looked down to see on top of April's box was a picture frame, with a picture of her and I being silly last year. It was in a frame I had made for her when we were kids, that was bedazzled and said world's greatest sister across the bottom. It made me feel a slight tinge of guilt. Seeing as she lost her job.

    "You're not crazy." I grumbled out, crossing my arms. April looked back at me for a brief second, with a almost grateful look in her eyes.

    "Okay, I'm lost. Crazy about what?" Vern asked looking between us both.