Chapter 2 | Unaware

There are cars scattered on the road. A couple with broken windows and a few collided. Dead bodies laying on the floor, dry blood pooled most of them.

    The air now smelt of dried blood, rotting corpses and gas. Along with the dead bodies lie shards of glass, belongings, trash, and brown leaves that had fallen not to long ago. 

    Elise and I walk towards the gas station just on our right. The green and blue building looked new. Apart from the shattered and broken windows.

    The gas pumps looked untouched. Aside from the garbage, the store looked okay for an alien apocalypse.

    There was a body just outside the entrance door. It was of a woman. She had dirty blonde hair, her skin pale and purple. Blood had dripped from her mouth and stomach before it dried.

    As we approach the store, Elise steps around the body, lifting her pistol up to her shoulder. She walks in first, pushing the door slowly. She prepared herself for an attack, her fingers tense around the pistol.

    Her body disappeared behind the other door- that was covered in stickers- the only thing that was left to be seen was her left leg holding the door open.

    An arm swings out of the door, signaling me in. It was clear. I stepped over the body and pushed the door slowly. She brought her left leg inside while I stepped into the moist building.

    The gas station wasn't a looker in the inside. The blue paint on the walls peeled off, revealing the grey cement just behind and patched of blood covering the walls. The cashier box- broken into. Some of the aisles had fallen onto other aisles. Others completely empty. The fridges were dark, some were broken. Garbage and glass laid on the floor.

    We split up, she went right, I went left. Both of us stepping slowly to avoid glass. Again- stealth.

    I pull the blade from my pocket and switch it open quickly. The sound of the blade startling Elise. A gasp exits her mouth. I look up at her and say nothing, shooting my index finger over my lips to shush her.

    Elise looked behind the cashier to look for anyone. I drop my bags by one of the aisles and head towards the bathrooms in the back. Not a single sound coming from the area but I have to check. I can't risk it.

    I come across the girls bathroom. My back now against the wall adjacent to it. I place my hand on the door nob, slowly turning it and pushing it open. I whip my head in quickly and there's no one there.

I release a breath I was unaware I was holding and release the handle from my right grip. I leave it open to indicate I'd already check it.

    The mens restroom about three feet away. Again I open the door slowly, whipping my head around the door. Again, empty.

    I step out of the bathroom, out into the hall now. It ends and turns to the right. I place my back on the wall to my right, slowly peaking to see if anyone was hiding.

    Again, empty. Only thing that could be seen was a back door leading to the outside of the store. It was wide open.

    Then I noticed a second door, this time on the left of the wall. I turn my body to now fully face the wilderness outside of the store. I step slowly, refusing to make any sound.

    Finally reaching the door, I place my hand on the handle, turning it slowly and pushing it open. Empty.

    A sign of relief leaves me chest. Before I had the chance to think I was safe, the sound of a click and the tip of a gun was held to the top of my head. Fuck.

    I knew what I had to do. I dropped my knife and bring my hands up. God I hope Elise is okay. I hope she runs, shoots anyone who tries to hurt her.

    "Are you alone?" Its the voice of a man. Sounding no older than the age of thirty.

     "Y-yes." My voice shakes. I start to turn slowly. Fuck, Fuck, FUCK! I need to figure out how I'm going to get out of this situation. I need to know how big the man was.

    He was only a few inches taller. He had dark hair slicked back, a big nose and a mustache growing just under it. He was big. Bigger than me. I could handle him. I've fought guys twice the size.

Just then, a gun went off. This was my opportunity, he'd looked away this was my chance.

I grabbed his gun, yanking his wrist and twisting it, the gun slipped from his fingers and he yelped in pain. Still holding his wrist, I turn my body, twisting his arm and elbowed him in the stomach. A loud groan escaped his mouth.

There it was, always happened with men. He held onto his stomach with his other arm and I kneed him in the face. There was a loud crack and a swarm of blood beginning to leak out of his nose.

I'd let go of him unconsciously, but he still stood. Damn it. He yanked my hair and somehow swiped his leg underneath me, tripping me. I fell on my back.

He reach towards my throat and stood over me. Idiot. I thrusted my knee into his crotch, he fell on top of me. Fuck.

His hand still held my throat and groaned in pain. Another gun shot went off. Fuck I can get the gun.

I looked around scanning for the gun. There it was, just above me head about 4 to 5 feet away. I had to get out from underneath him to get it.

"You're a pretty one, aren't you?" His legs now straddled my waist. I felt the fear and adrenaline rush through my body. I tried to feel around me, maybe there was something I could use- I felt something cold. Something hard. I grabbed it and threw my arm at his head.

He fell off of me. I scrambled to my feet and tried to reach the gun. His hand wrapped around my ankle, beginning to pulling me, the gun just out of reach.

"Fuck," I yelled and kicked him in the face with my free foot, he still wouldn't budge. I reached and kicked him again. My foot slipped from his fingers and I was able to reach the gun.

    I picked it up and rushed to my feet, aiming the gun at him as he stood up. "You won't shoot." His hoarse voice sounded almost- sorry.

    If I let him live, I'll let everyone else who tries to kill me live. If I let him live, there's a chance he could come back for me and try to kill me again. If I let him live, there's a chance that a part of me will go soft and this unforgivable, crumbling world, will slit my throat. I wasn't going to take those chances.

    I point the gun at his head, holding it with both hands. Without hesitation, without a blink- I pull the trigger. His body fell limp, dropping to the floor.

____________________

I hope you guys liked my chapter, please don't forget to vote. Also I think I'll try and post at least twice a week. And feel free to tell me what you think and if there's something I could change to improve my writing.

Thank you!