Chapter 13 | Echoes

She opened the door and lead me in. The room was small, but a white reclinable chair sat in the middle with counters around two walls just behind the chair. A huge mirror was in front of the chair, just next to the door.

    "Take a seat, honey." I did as she instructed and sat at the chair.

    "What are we gonna do now?" I asked. The chair was a lot more cushiony then I thought.

    "First I'm going to finish up a check up but Unfortunately you can't." She wrote something on a clipboard. "But I can check your vitals."

She reached into the drawers and pulled out a blood pressure machine. She wrapped it around my arm and began the process. "Blood pressure is a little low but that's expected because of the loss of blood."

She smiled again. I began to miss Elise, more than a few minutes ago. Not once has she left my mind tho. Nothing feels the same nor safe without her.

"Now we can begin with the questions. What's your name?" She looked up from her clipboard. I hadn't noticed before but she put on a pair of glasses that made her look, somehow, smarter and more intelligent.

"Angelina De La Cruz Martínez." I tried to sound steady, but saying my name out loud felt weird. I haven't said my name to anyone in months.

She jotted something down on her clipboard before continuing with the questions. "How old are you?"

"16."

"And do you have any family that you think or believe might still be alive?"

I didn't know how to answer the question.

"I'm not sure. Maybe my brother." I shrugged.

"Okay, do you have any idea of where he might be?" I shook my head, she looked back onto her clipboard, deep in thought. "Tell me about them, like how many siblings do you have?"

"I had two sisters, and one brother. My youngest sister died in the first wave, she was in the car with my mother and they were hit by a semi. My brother didn't live with us when the waves hit, never knew what happened to him. My..." the memory was still painful. I felt the lump on my throat growing. "My other sister died just before they picked me up."

She didn't give me the look I thought she would've, it wasn't pity or guilt, it was genuine sadness and heartfelt. I swallowed my lump and waited for the next question.

"And your father?"

"Drowned in the second wave."

"And you got the plague as well?"

I nodded my head, she smiled at me and wrote a few more things down.

"Tell me about your sister, the one who just passed."

I looked down to my lap and back up to her. I didn't really want to talk about it but for some reason I felt comfortable and I wanted to talk to her. No one else.

"She was only 15, her birthday's soon." I whispered the last part. "Never let anyone tell her she was less, she was tough, helped me get through most of the terrible things that we went through. She died trying to save me."

I felt the tears trickle down my checks as soon as I closed my eyes. The clicking sounds of Dr. Pam's shoes echoed. I looked up and she handed me a few tissues.

"Thank you." I sniffled.

"Of course," She grabbed my leg and squeezed it. "The next thing would be tag and bag but we did that earlier because of your injury, so I'm going to plant a track onto your neck now." She walked towards the counter and pulled out a strange looking gun.

I gave up questioning things a long time ago. I wonder why they need trackers in us.

"I'm going to numb you a little bit before planting the tracker." She stood behind me. "Can you lift your hair up?"

She still kept being kind, I'm sure she used to have her own kids, a boy and a girl. Maybe thy were angels and well behaved.

I wasn't paying close attention but I felt a cold prick poke my neck. Then I felt a cold plastic held to my neck. I peak at the mirror from the corner of my eyes. I'm assuming she's planting the so called tracker into my neck with the strange gun.

    "Okay take a deep breath in." She Inhaled with me, "now out." As soon as I exhaled, I felt a light tickle on my neck and a kick from the gun.

    "All done."

    "That's it?" I was surprised it didn't take longer.

    "Yes, all that's left is wonderland and a quick little test."

    "A test?" I asked. She pulled out a grey box with a big red button on it.

"Yes." She stood over me and the mirror faded, becoming a window of sorts. Inside there was a boy, he had a grey button up shirt and light brown hair. "Take a look." She moved a lens over my eyes.

"What the fuck is that?" I flinched. There was an octopus looking green thingy sucking at the brains of the little boy. Is that what the Others look like?

"He's an Infested. He's got an other inside of him." Her hands laid on my shoulders.

"Have you guys ever tried t-to- take it out?" I stuttered.

    "We've tried it all, surgery, poisons, all that. Nothing worked. The only way to kill the sucker is to kill that host." She was a little more aggressive with her words than before.

"Okay." I scrunched my eyebrows together.

    "Before we continue any farther, we need to know you're willing to do anything for the human race." She was quiet. Her words echoes through my brain. "Press the red button."

    "What does it do?"

    "It kills the Other inside the boy."

    Like hell was I gonna pass this up. It hurt a little that it was a little kid but it could've been anyone. I pressed the button, hard and firm, not taking my eyes off of the lenses.

The Thing was struggling, wiggling in his brain trying to escape, until it was to late and the green created laid limp on the boys brain.

"Now it's time for Wonderland, honey."