Chapter 8 | Dreams that last forever

My eyes flickered open, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. Still sitting in the same position from last night. I look around, it's a mess, pools of blood around me, an empty bottle of vodka, and a needle with floss covered in blood.

I hadn't realized how long I had been sleeping but the sun seemed to be just above the store.

I groan, feeling the intense pain that came from my leg. Pulsing through my body.

I close my eye, Elise. This time, the pain came from my chest. My heart aches for her. Her company, her presence, her ability to calm me and help me find peace in any given situation.

Elise was more then my sister, she was more than my other half, she was more than my best friend. She was also my soulmate. The only good thing I had my whole life. But now she was gone. Like she never existed, no one would ever know that she died, or how she died.

    It hurt, more than the physical pain. It felt numb.

I stood, my legs trembled from the lose of blood. I felt the blood rush up through my body and into my head. My vision seemed to have crossed and blurred.

    With a few quick blinks, my eye sight returned and my throbbing head began to clear. I needed water, I reached for it and again the blood rushed to my head and my legs weakened, causing me to fall backwards and onto my butt. I needed to rest and relax, but I didn't want to. The longer I stayed put, the more I begin to think of the horror of watching my sister beaten and shot. The look she gave me right before, made my heart drop.

But alas, I was still exhausted, in pain, starving, and hungry. I pulled my bag closer to me and began eating the salt and vinegar chips and beef jerky I had left. I chugged down some Powerade and water.

Before I knew it my eyes drifted off into the dark abyss of my eyelids.

~

Darkness. That's all I can feel. All I can see. All I can hear. It's strange, darkness doesn't have sound, but I know I can hear it.

I run, away from the darkness, and way from my problems. She's trailing just behind me. I can feel her.

    Just as quickly as I realize it's her, her presence disappears. I stop running turning to her.

    Her face, it's like I can see her in the spotlight. I could never forget her face, she knew it was the last time she would ever see me.

    "Elise." I whisper, my voice sounds so unfamiliar.

    "You could've saved me." She whispered, the emotions in her voice told me everything. She hated me because I didn't save her.

    And just like that the spotlight vanished and so did she. "Elise." I called out to her. I reached for her but she was gone, she slipped away from me once again.

~

Driving was my favorite thing to do with Elise. Which is why we always took time out of our busy days to take a drive, sometimes we'd drive to Wendy's and order a small vanilla frost and a large fry. No matter how cold or how hot.

    This was one of those occasions. The nearest Wendy's was 8 minutes from out house, and within those eight minutes, we'd blast music and pull the windows down, letting the wind brush against are skin.

    Currently, we were listening to Na Na by Trey Songz .

Today was the first time in our school history that we beat out biggest competition for both JV and varsity girls Basketball. As the captain, nothing made me more proud then seeing my ladies work together the way they were.

Both of our coaches where so happy that they took us out for a really fancy dinner on our way back home.

Elise and I both had just gotten home, but there was no one home so we went out to get some ice cream before we even entered the house.

"In so happy, excited, I don't know how to describe it." Elise shouted over the music.

I reach for the volume and turn it down. "First time, in our school history. And I'm their own damn house." I scream, excitement flooded my body.

We arrived and ordered our usual through the drive thru. As always the total came to $8.47. When we reached the window, immediately I was filled with more that joy and happiness.

"Oh my god! Guess what?" I asked, Caleb was my best friend . We've know each other since grade school. And he worked at Wendy's, which was the best thing to ever happen to all of us because we love that place to much.

"What?" He laughed at my enthusiasm.

"We beat them." Elise yelled. His face lit up and he smiled while handing us out frostys and our large fry.

"That's amazing. Tell me about it tomorrow, I'm working." He shook his head and smiled at us.

And with that I drove away. Taking us to our spot behind a Walmart that had the best view of the city.

~

I wished dreams like this never ended. That was one of the last good memories I had before the waves. One of the most normal days I'd have for the rest of my life.

I don't know why I never noticed it before, but at that time Elise and Caleb had been secretly seeing each other.

The only reason I found out was because after the first wave, he showed up at our house and without hesitation told her he loved her.

    He asked her to go with him, they'd go to California because there was rumors that they weren't near water. But that idea died after the third wave, along with him and the 97% of the population.

    Don't get me wrong, he was my best friend but he confessed his love for my sister and the first thing Elise did was look me in the eyes.

    She was sorry, and it wasn't because he loved her, but because she loved him and wanted to leave with him.

    I longed for that love, too. But I was happy she got it, even if it was only for a short while.

    This was all a dream that I wish could still be true. A dream that I could live in. A dream that was so surreal that it made me want to stay. But a dream can only last for so long.