Chapter 21 | What Happened While I Was Gone?

"Lina," a distant voice called for me. "LINA!"

Everything blurred, all I saw was the figure of a girl standing over me.

"Lina, please wake up." Her voice was beginning to sound familiar.

"Please." She begged. It was Elise.

~

I jolted awake. My whole body tensed and I quickly sat up. I was laying in a hospital bed. It was the same hospital that they brought me to when I first arrived. Hell, I could be in the same room.

Gently, I allowed myself to calm down and lay on the bed. Then I began to have questions. How long was I here? Where's my squad? Why am I here?

The door began to creek open. I quickly pretended I was still asleep. I wasn't sure who was entering but whoever it was, they had heavy footsteps. Boots, they were wearing boots.

Another set of footsteps followed behind the boots, they were platforms. I'm guessing she was a doctor or a nurse.

"How's Private Ruck?" A deep voice, not a single hint of softens or pity in his voice. He sounded like he could care less about how I'm doing.

    "She's well, should wake up soon." Dr. Pam. I could recognize the voice anywhere. "Has a minor concussion but she's cleared to go back."

"Good, too bad she didn't want to take charge of that squad, they need her." The deep voice said, I was beginning to recognize his voice. Reznik. "Anyways, gotta head back, they got a new member, gotta make sure she keeps them in line."

    "Yes sir, I'll let you know as soon as she wakes up." Dr. Pam assures. She sounds so professional around him. They begin to walk out, not a single word. I was still afraid to move even after the door closes.

    A muffled conversation continues outside, still refusing to move or open my eyes as I listen. A third person is with them. His voice sounds a lot more feminine than Rezniks' and to masculine to be Dr. Pams'.

    Seconds after, the door opens again. The same sound of boots walk through the door, only the presence of the boots assure me they weren't Rezniks. I wanted to peak, see who it was that was here in the room with me. He sits in the chair besides me and rolls it closer to me, leaning on his forearms beside me.

    "Nugget, keeps asking about you." He sounds apologetic, why was he here? "Look, I'm sorry I put you in the hospital, I never meant to put you here, especially not this long." He stops for a second, breathing hard. "I would never say any of this to you if you were awake, but I'm glad you're on my squad. Even if you could easily take my spot." He chuckled lightly.

I felt like laughing, too. He's kind of cute. God damn it Lina.

I felt the shift of the bed as he stood. I could feel this huge tension coming from him. It feels like he really wants to tell me something else. He lets out a deep breath and I listen to his heavy boots stride to the door. Before the door completely closed there was a silence, he didn't move and the door didn't shut.

"I just wish I could tell you." He whispered and quickly shut the door.

Tell me what, Parish?

~

I didn't leave the hospital wing till the next day. Dr. Pam wanted to make sure I was well enough to return to my squad and continue the daily activities. I wanted to return sooner but she was so stubborn and refused me.

    Everyone was at lunch when I was released. After a quick stop at the barrack for a quick shower, and headed towards the lunch room for food.

    One of the perks of being in the hospital- they have good food. Unfortunately, I was once again stuck with the military food they forced us to eat.

As soon as I entered the room, I spotted my squad. Before I could do anything Teacup and Nugget launched their butts up and sprinted towards me. They ran straight into me. Pushing me backwards onto the lunchroom doors.

"Oof- guys, be careful." I huffed, giving them the slightest hug before standing up straight.

"We missed you!" Nugget whispered and tightened his hug around my waist.

Nugget let go of me and looked up at me, "we've got so much to tell you!"

I was puzzled but dragged them over towards the table since Nugget wouldn't let me go. Once I made it to the table, I practically peeling Nugget off of me and sat across from Zombie.

"What does Teacup mean when she said, she's got so much to tell me?" The table went quiet. I looked over at Teacup but she was munching on some peaches. Everyone's facial expressions changed, something happened while I was gone and they don't want to tell me. Then I Noticed it, Tank was gone. "Where's Tank?"

Zombie gave me the hugest eyes, shushing me. "Let's not talk about it here." He whispered, looking back down to his food while picking at it.

"O-kay". I was genuinely confused. What the hell did he mean by not here. Did something happen to him? And I seriously that clueless.

Or did I miss something?

~

Sorry for not posting sooner, no excuses but here's this part please enjoy, and I'll try and post another one soon. But I'm not making any promises.