Chapter 3 | Panic

A drop of blood rushed out from his head. He laid on his stomach, and his eyes still open. I feel the bits of remorse, and horror- that I could take a human life. But it wasn't the first time and it sure as hell won't be my last.

    I stood still for about a minute. Elise. The gun shots, what had happened to her? I sprinted out of the room and towards the front of the store.

There was no one, it was empty. "Elise." I yelled. Still, no answer. I began to panic. I- I couldn't do this without her. "Elise."

I walked around the aisles, I reached the last one and turned. There laid two bodies. One of a bald man about the same age as the one I'd just killed, laying face down and blood leaked out from underneath him.

The other was Elise. I dropped the gun. My body jerked towards her and landed on my knees.

"Elise." I whispered. Her body jolted and her eyes opened. She let out a weak smile.

"I'm fine, I just hit my head pretty hard. Some water and rest will do me just fine." She whispered. I feel relief again.

"You scared the shit out of me." I leaned onto my toes, still crouching over her. "Did he have a gun?"

"Yeah he tried to shoot me," She groaned. "But I got 'em, clearly." She chuckled and tried to stand up.

I stood quickly helping her up. She stood with no problem but stumbled just as we were about to leave.

    "Just sit for a minute while I look for food. Keep the gun with you." I turned around beginning to look through the aisles.

   Most of the good food was gone or expired. The only thing good to eat was a couple of bags of peanuts, night crawlers, and a bag of chocolate covered donuts. I hadn't seen a good bag of donuts since before the waves. I open the bag and smell.

    My mouth watered. The smell I've missed more than anything. Not to mention, They were my favorite.

    "Guess what I found." I held up the bag off donuts.

    "No fucking way." She rushed towards me. At a slow pace but she seemed to be rushing. "They're not expired."

    "Nah, they're good-" she grabbed the bag from my hands and looked at the expiration date. "Smell amazing too"

    We packed thing up quickly and searched the bodies of the men who attacked us, taking all of their weapons and ammunition.

~

"Do you ever wonder what we'd be doing right now if- the waves or 'The Others' never came." Elise broke the silence.

    I had to think about this, I'd give anything to go back, to appreciate my mother more, to be with my father more, to tell my brother to come back. But none of that would ever have happened if They hadn't have come. "Nothing more than what we always did."

Her face fell, the sadness washed over her face and the dread picked up. "I wish things were different, like, I wish I'd done things differently."

"I do to, but whats done is done- let's stop here." I pointed towards the nicest house we had passed. I know what I said to her was fucked, but it's time she realize that the world now won't allow her to make easy decisions. Our lives will never be the same.