Chapter 17 | Chaos

The whole squad was in chaos, kids were yelling at kids, some where running around and fixing things. One of them, who seems to be the oldest, was trying to put things in order as quickly as possible.

I'd already had enough of it. "Hey." I yelled, I tried to sound stern and loud. It seemed to have worked because the commotion stopped and everyone turned to look at me.

    I walked towards the center of the room. "Which one of you is Private Zombie." I was already annoyed. The squad seemed to have no order and there was no clear specifications on who their leader was. Maybe I should become the new squad leader.

    "I am." I heard a strong voice from beside me. I turned my body to look at him and watched as he stood up straight. He was the older one putting things in order. He was also about a foot taller than me. I wasn't at all intimidated, but his name did serve him right. He held an expression less face and strong eye contact.

He had pale skin and dark under bags. Emotionless, pale, and seemingly messy hair. All of which match his name perfectly. One thing was- he still had a decent build under his jumpsuit.

   "I was told to report to you." I tried to keep the same bitchy face I first intended to have when first entering.

He set down his things, "Reznik will be hear soon, straighten out, now." He crossed his arms and looked over at his squad, Demanding order. "What's your name Private?"

    "Private Ruck." I extended my hand out for him to shake. He took it and squeezed my hand firmly.

"Holy shit your Private Ruck?" I heard a male voice from behind me.

"A girl?" A small female voice came from the same direction.

So far everyone seemed surprised that I was a girl. What was so hard to believe.

"Is it true?" The same little girl spoke. I turned to look at who she was.

She was small and thin. Her blonde hair draped over her shoulders in long braids.

"That you killed three men in less than 2 minutes?" This time it was a voice from beside me, sounded kind of childish but you could tell he was older than 16.

I looked over at him and he wink. Of course, even during an alien apocalypse- this bafoon still wants to flirt. I rolled my eyes at him and decided not to answer the question.

    "For now, only thing you need to know is that your bed-" Zombie pointed at an empty bunk towards the back of the room. "Is the bottom bunk."

    I looked over. I was about to protest when the door creaked open. I knew it was Reznik. I scrammed towards my assigned bunk and stood with my arms behind my back, feet straight and my head up high.

    He walked in with such pride and ownership that it was nauseating to see. This guy was full of himself and he knew it too.

"At ease soldier." He shouted.

    The whole squad, including myself, eased our feet shoulder length apart.

    Reznik began walking around, seemingly judging the place. He stood in front of a boy, he was about 14 years old maybe.

    "Tank, don't tell me you call this a made bed." He yelled onto his face. Poor kid looked like he was trying to keep it together. Now I see what Parker meant.

    The kid shook his head and looked down onto the floor.

    "Use your damn words, Private." He shouted again, this time craning his neck over the poor kid.

    "Sir, no sir." He trembled. His hands began to tremble while he fidgeted with his finger.

    Reznik seemed to have gotten what he wanted and looked over the kid with a smirk before marching off to the next kid. 

    The next kid had pink cheeks, pale skin and without a doubt- he was fat. Reznik seemed to be disinterested in the kid and moved on over to the little girl.

    Her pigtails were draped behind her shoulders now and her blue eyes when huge once he stood in front of her. A smirk arose on his face, clearly he had something planned for her.

"Private Teacup, you call this neat." He pointed to a simple crinkle on the bed sheet. "Do it again."

"I call that laziness, private." He lifted the sheets and peeled them off, then pushed the bed off over the other side of the bunk.

I saw the tears threatening her eyes. I wanted to laugh, how could she be so weak, but she was no other than 7 years old. I didn't pity her, there should be no reason to. She might have lost everyone she loved, but who here hasn't? She was strong enough to survive the plague, to survive this long. Time for her to grow some wits and play the part.

He reached the kid who asked me about the guards, he looked at him with suck disgusting disappointment. "Pathetic"

The kid looked tough, but scrawny. Reznik looked at him and laughed. Somehow, the work 'pathetic' hurt him more than Reznik picking on him. Maybe there was something that happened to him or I might've missed.

He moved across the room towards my bunk, I held my breath, there was no reason for him to say anything to me. At least I hoped.

"Ahh, you must be new, what's your name Private." He Smirked, his voice calm but intimidating.

"Private Ruck, Sir." I said strongly, avoiding any yelling or trying to look tougher.

"Ohh, your Private Ruck. I was expecting more. I heard you caused quite the 'ruckus'." He retorted, he was entertaining himself. "Killed three of our men, the last one before the other two hit the floor. Quite a surprise for someone like... you." He eyed me up and down. This bastard was trying to embarrass me. I simple let out a light chuckle.

"Something funny, Private?" His voice rose.

I shook my head. "Sir, no Sir."

"Better not be." He glared at me before moving on to the next kid.

"Private Oompa, you wipe those shoes as well as you wipe your ass?" He shouted over the kid.

"Sir, no sir." He responded.

"Is it just me or do I smell ass." He smelt the area. Then a light snicker came from the scrawny kid Reznik refused to acknowledge. "Something funny to you, Private?"

The kid froze. "Sir, no Sir." All these kids kept saying the same thing, how was this entertaining to Reznik? Their like soldiers who only know how to say one thing.

     "Private Nugget, still a chicken shit?" He whipped his head towards a little boy. I hadn't noticed before. He was so young, to young actually. He looked like about five years old. Why was he here?

    The little boy didn't answer but began to sob. There was no reason for him to sob. Reznik was despicable, he spit on the little boys shoes and walked away like it was nothing.

    Then he stood in front of Zombie, he had the same face, emotionless. Reznik didn't have an affect on Zombie, or maybe he did, he just didn't want him to see it.

    "Private, aren't you at all threatened?" He was scarcely calm, this man had mood swings worse than a pregnant woman.

    "Why would I be, sir?" Zombie responded. Everything about him was emotionless, even his damn tone of voice.

    "Private Ruck threatens your position as squad leader. She's proved herself more than you." He taunted. Zombie doesn't move though, he won't give Reznik the reaction he wants.

    "I'm not threatened, sir. I know my position." Zombie assured. My eyebrows raised, they really had no authority. Reznik was shoving it in his face, and Zombie was throwing it back. 

    "Sure you do." He chuckled continued towards the middle of the room.