Chapter 16 | Private Ruck

*TWO WEEKS LATER*

It's been about two weeks. My leg was patched and fully healed. I was given food, and nothing more.

I've also been locked up in a hospital room the whole time, never allowed to leave. The only people who came by a visited were a couple of different nurses, Dr. Pam, and Parker. If the nurses weren't poking me with needles or cleaning my wounds, they came in to give me food. Dr. Pam always came to check out the wound and helped me feel more comfortable. She did warn me that that was the only time I'd be given privileges so I had to take advantage of it. Parker occasionally came in with food, or to keep me company. I really enjoyed it and took advantage of both those things.

Pam was beginning to feel like a mother. Always kind with me, gentle, and of course loving. She did more than check up in me, she check to make sure I was okay mentally. We talked about hers' and my past and about the world now. Of course there was the occasional 'what ifs...' but they led nowhere.

As for Parker, he'd always considered me a friend and that what we were. I learned that he was 22 years old and that his dream was becoming a baseball player- which I could see him doing because he had a nice butt.

Other than that, Parker and Pam both told me that today was the day I would be assigned to a squad. I'd also be introduced to a Colonel Vosch and given a name. Most of what they told me sounded incredibly ridiculous but I guessed it all had a purpose.

Right now, Parker was taking me for a shower before leaving me with my new squad. Pam wanted me to look presentable for the Sargent, Sargent Reznik, and my new squad. I mean I guess I could agree with that but I see no point since I showered the night before.

"Let's get you some clothes before you get to showering." Parker whispered. He wasn't really allowed to be helping me so we'd both been sneaking around.

"Do I get bad ass clothes that make my butt look big, like yours?" I picked on him. Always did, and I wasn't going to stop.

"You wish your ass was as juicy as mine." He reached behind him and squeezed his butt. Unbelievable. I rolled my eyes at him and chuckled lightly. I hadn't laughed, let along smiled since I got here. I honestly didn't have the energy for it, neither did I want to feel vulnerable in a place and around people I wasn't familiar with.

"Why don't you just get the clothes while I shower?" I asked, I was getting annoyed at all the dirty looks people were giving me because I was still in a hospital gown.

    "Fine." He sighed. As soon as we made it to the bathroom, I immediately showered.

    I learned a few things within the two weeks of doing nothing but talk to Parker and Pam- which was that No one- other than Pam and Parker- in the base trusted me because I killed three of their men. I get why but there was no reason for them to have guards posted outside of my room 24/7.

    I also learned that I was going to be assigned to squad 53. Lieutenant colonel Alexander Voshe- or just lieutenant Voshe- came to visit me one night and told me that if I worked for it, I could be squad leader and maybe even become Sargent- this is if the squad graduated. But I didn't want that position because that meant I had to take responsibility that I honestly didn't need to take.

    I heard the door slam shut, and a loud familiar voice call out to me.

    "Still here, sadly." I shouted.

    "Okay I'll leave your clothes on one of the benches, don't take to long, Colonel Reznik is going to take you to your squad in 20." I heard Parker's heavy footsteps.

    "Okay thanks." I already knew that, he didn't have to tell me. "I'll be out in a bit." I rinsed off and turned the water off quickly. The door slammed shut once again just before I pulled out of the showers.

    I walked over to the lockers and found a neat pile of clothes with black leather boots sitting right near to them.

    The pants where the same cargo pants Parker wore, a black t-shirt, socks, new undergarments, the boots and a necklace. I reached over  to grab the necklace and read out the two metal plates. One had a big 53 plastered on it and the second had my given name. Ruck. Parker made a hideous remark about all the 'ruckus' I caused the day they picked me up. Then Pam came up with the idea of 'ruck' being my name. Supposedly they ran the idea over to Colonel Vosch and he liked it.

Anyways, I quickly changed into my given clothes. The pants fit my body well and hugged my curves. The shirt was baggy but that wasn't a problem.

I opened the door and just in front, Parker was leaning on the wall in front of the door. "Wow, I'm flattered, you actually look good in the uniform." He winked and pointed at my shirt. "Tuck it in."

"Thanks." I winked back and tucked my shirt in.

~

We stood in front of a door with a big 53 plastered over the door.

    "Well, this is it, your squad. Reznik should be here soon. For now you ask for Private Zombie and make sure he tells you where you sleep and introduces you to the squad." He smiled lightly. "Reznik's going to have fun with you."

    "Wait." I said before he had a chance to move towards the door. "Won't you come with me?"

    "I can't, I'm not allowed too, plus Reznik will be here very soon." His voice because serious all to quickly and I took that as a sign to move on and not push it. So I didn't, I simply nodded and opened the door myself.

    What did he mean by 'Reznik's going to have fun with me'. He was probably just being an idiot, but I'll keep it in mind. "Thanks." I whispered before entering the room.