Chapter 12 | Superficial

No long after we finished, she walked me to the showers. They weren't that far considering, they were just two halls down. The girls showers where separated by small concrete walls for each shower.

I stood in front of a large mirror over the sink. She gave me 30 minutes to finish showering, and she left a pair of new underwear, and another gown. After I took my gown off, I looked at myself. I didn't look how I use to.

For one, I had blood splatters on my face, most of which was Elise's. My leg, too, was covered in blood. There were green, heeling bruises, and new bruises. My skin was pale, not a scary pale, but a pale that was malnourished.

    I used to keep my shape by working out and eating healthy, but now I lost belly and face fat, leg muscles, my stamina. I didn't recognize the person I was looking at.

I remembered how much most of the guys at my school would try to flirt and touch me but I never wanted that. All I focused on was my future, sure I had my fun but I never actually fell in love. I mean I had boyfriends and casual hookups but love was an entirely different feeling.

The only love I felt was for my family.

I ran my hand over the roundness of my left hip and waist.

~

"What should we get?" Elise whispered. We were both standing over a counter looking at all the different types of tattoo magazines.

    "Something for the both of us." I looked over at her, she was flipping through the magazines of the ink designs.

    "Oh, I know." She sounded so enthusiastic.

    "What?" I giggled. She showed me the page she was on. It was a small butterfly with a simple design.

    "We'll get two instead of one, and one of them will be bigger than the other, but the bigger one will be will mean something different for the other." She explained.

    "Um-." I was confused. "What do you mean?"

   "Okay they'll be two butterflies, but one will be bigger than the other, only the design of each butterfly will be different for us both. For me, the biggest one will be a plain black butterfly and the smaller one will have a simple butterfly pattern, yours will be the opposite. The bigger one will have the design and the smaller one will be black." She rambled, but I understood the meaning of them each.

    "Okay." I smiled. She jumped with excitement, and  for the tattoo artist.

~

The ink we both got was on her 15th birthday. While mine was in left waist-hip, hers was on the right. That summer, out mother scolded us for being irresponsible and grounded me for being a bad example.

I smiled at the memory, but I was brought back to the present by voices of, what I presume, someone passing by.

I let out a loud sigh before turning the water on. I was submerged by cold water, and I let out a loud gasp, that really wasn't what I was expecting, but it was an army base.

    I took my time showering. The cold was bearable, and the soap smelt surprisingly amazing. As soon as I finished, I grabbed a towel from a rack and dried myself off before changing.

Not long after I finished, Dr. Pam, walked into the room. "Okay perfect you're all done, I have these for you." She passed me a pair of socks.

She walked me out to the hall way. I noticed two guards standing by the door. Why where they standing there. "I'll be taking you to get a quick examination that we give to all the people who come her."

"I'm sorry? Didn't you already..." I shoot my head at her. Just then I noticed that same guards beginning to follow us. Did she have them follow us? Where they really that scared that I'd to do something. 

"That was only part of it. There are examinations, then there's tag and bag, then Wonderland, and-"

    "Wonderland?" I cut her off. She looked oblivious.

    "Oh, I'm sorry, its alien technology that we-"

"What? You have alien technology, how?" I interrupted again, but she doesn't at all seem mad.

My question truly was how did they come across this alien technology? I was genuinely curious. "Cool isn't it." She smiled. "Anyways, Wonderland is like a- map- lets say. It helps us map out you."

"What?" I blinked a few times. I hope the Aliens realize that we're the superior race, and that they don't belong here.

"It helps us get to know you, and experience your experiences, your emotions. Like I said, we map out your life." She seemed to have a hard time describing Wonderland, she seemed to be telling me it was easier to show me rather than tell me, it was kind of amusing.

    "That's... kinda cool." I smiled for the first time since I met her. "I mean it's time the Others realize that they don't belong here, right... and that we're far more superior."

    She turns to look at me and smiles. We continue to walk down a few halls and turning a few corners. Unfortunately, the guards had still been following us.

    From the corner of my eye, I see one of them is Parker. He smiles at me before it turn back around. I was about to ask why they where following but she spook sooner.

    "We're here." She stopped, the guards followed behind. She opened the door again with a keycard and it clicked open.