Chapter 1

It's dark out. 8:13pm to be exact.

The campus grounds are empty at this hour as you briskly walk towards the only school building left open—the library.

Earlier that day, you somehow managed to leave an important (and very detailed) study note wedged inside of a library book you had used during a group review session. And only after returning to the dorm from your job did you realize it was missing. It had been a long day and you were undoubtedly tired, but you immediately rushed back out.

Irritation sets in as you walk, and you mutter a curse to yourself. The plan had been to review your note tonight for the upcoming exam in two days. And the damn thing took over a week to put together, there was no way you could fully replicate it in a day.

Sigh.

You only hope that book was still on the library table where you had left it.

◈ ◈ ◈

The night is definitely chilly, and a cold, autumn breeze cuts straight into your shirt. You hastily pull the sides of your thin cardigan closed, crossing your arms to keep warm.

That's when you notice the sound of faint taps, but it's difficult to separate from the sound of tree leaves and branches constantly rustling in the wind.

You bite the inside of your cheek as the tapping gradually becomes more noticeable. You're now able to discern that they're echoing footsteps, growing louder and closer. And they seem to match the pace of your somewhat hurried steps.

The area you're walking through is a large, open space, making it difficult to pinpoint which direction they're coming from. You instinctively take a turn towards a more defined path, a well known shortcut you'd often take to the library.

The sooner you get there, the better.

◈ ◈ ◈

There is relief on your end when the footsteps seemingly disappear.

The campus is relatively safe, or so you'd like to think with security patrolling the area regularly. Maybe you might've been overreacting? And maybe you should cut down on listening to all those true crime podcasts.

Continuing to keep an eye on your surroundings, you notice nothing remarkable or out of place.

Good.

And no more echoing footsteps.

Great.

So...

Why do you still feel uneasy?

Street lamps guide your path, but the way they illuminate their small, respective areas suddenly appear a little eerie tonight.

You pick up your pace as a strange knot settles in your stomach.

Maybe it's instinct, maybe it's paranoia, but something urges you to look over your shoulder.

And you really wish your gut had been wrong.

Because not too far away, there appears to be someone following you.

◈ ◈ ◈

Your palms become clammy from the sudden rush of adrenaline.

You coach yourself to keep calm, but it doesn't seem to do much for your erratic heart. The stranger's distance from you is not too concerning, but it's still a gap that can easily be bridged.

You swallow, nervously.

It makes you wonder why the footsteps had stopped earlier. Was it to purposely keep quiet? Or were you acting crazy and it's just another student on campus?