Chapter 19 [Warning]

Warning: This chapter contains themes of trauma.

Thump, thump, thump.

Your eyes flutter open to the echoing sound that flooded into your dreams.

A small groan escapes you while shifting in bed to glance up at the nearby clock.

12-freakin'-am. Really?

Who was knocking at this ungodly hour?

Forcing yourself to sit up, you peer across the dim room with bleary eyes, trying to get your eyesight to focus. You begrudgingly push yourself off of the warm bed, staggering to find balance in your half awakened state.

"Who is it?" you call out sleepily, feet shuffling across the cold floor towards the door.

There's a brief silence before a familiar voice finally answers, "It's Hyunjin".

You stop in track.

You've made up your mind. Phones are absolutely useless with him, you decide. He had shown up unannounced the last time, too, but that was during a decent time of the day.

What reason could he have coming here after midnight?

Proceeding to unlock the door, you draw in a shallow breath to half-heartedly scold him, but peeling the door back stops you from saying anything.

Because there's no one there.

"Uh," You slowly step forward to the edge of the entryway. "Hello?"

Just as you're about to peer out into the hallway, a sudden blur of a silhouette appears, filling your entire vision just inches from your face.

You gasp, your body recoiling in shock.

And your fists come up on their own accord.

Hyunjin reacts quickly, leaning back to avoid getting hit. "Hey, woah." He captures your balled up hands in midair, effectively stopping them from advancing toward him.

It's safe to say any remnants of sleep that clouded your mind earlier have fled all together. Your heart thumps wildly as your wide eyes take in Hyunjin's confusion, but even his familiar face can't ease the panic that's already shot through you like lightning.

Being restrained by a strength greater than your own renders you immobile.

Because no matter how much you didn't want it to, the sensation brings you back to that night in the laundry room two weeks ago.

Hyunjin's stunned expression morphs into one of regret as you grow silent and stiff in front of him. His fingers uncurl from your fists, carefully releasing your hands back to you.

They fall to your sides limply.

It's hard to ignore the disappointment when you really believed you had moved on—you wanted so badly to believe you were over the events of that night.

That cold, mortifying night.

When you ran away like a coward, not knowing what to do or where to go.