Chapter 22

(Hyunjin's POV)

"You...WHAT?" Jisung bellows, eyes widening in shock. "Tell me you're joking."

"Do I look like I'm joking?" comes Hyunjin's dry reply.

"I don't know! You have a pretty decent poker face!" The brunet slumps back in his spot, his mouth hanging in disbelief. "You- you...were you..."

Hyunjin arches a brow at Jisung's sputtering, giving him the most unimpressed look. "Was I what?"

"Were you... lonely? I mean, you could've told me if you were," his friend finally manages to speak coherently while eyeing Hyunjin both cautiously and pitifully.

The taller boy stares in confusion before letting out a soft, dismissive snort. He resists the urge to toss his empty beer can at his friend for the asinine question. "You know me so well," he answers sarcastically.

"Well, what then? Were you bored? Were you just looking for a fling?" Jisung asks in obvious exasperation. "This city is swimming with girls, why her?"

Hyunjin, now inching into annoyance, crumples up his aluminum can. He was this close to actually throwing it at that pretty brown head next to him but calmly makes his way over to the trash bin instead. "You know I don't do flings," he mumbles curtly, tossing the flattened can with a resigned sigh.

The dryer that's been quietly rumbling in the background slowly comes to a halt and Hyunjin pivots himself to go tend to the machine. He could use a break from his roommate's presence.

"Come back! Are you seriously doing laundry right now?! I have so many more questions!" Jisung practically flails on the couch, his voice climbing an octave higher.

Hyunjin sighs again as he opens up the dryer. "Listen- I didn't tell you all that for shits and giggles," he grunts, reaching in to grab the fresh, warm clothes.

"Oh yeah? I might not be giggling but I sure as heck almost shit my pants when you said you freakin' kissed her! No- I take that back, I might be shitting my pants right n—"

Hyunjin quietly strides back into the living room holding a basket full of clothes, effectively cutting Jisung off with a highly judgmental look. "That's disgusting, don't make us more dirty laundry. And the kiss was hardly the point, dummy. Tell me you don't find it suspicious that no one's hounded us—let alone even mentioned why we never brought her in? And, Minho..." he trails off, disturbed by his last few encounters with the older boy. "Things just aren't adding up. They're up to something, Jisung. Or at least, Minho is."

"Maybe she's not a priority at the moment, it's happened before," the roommate answers casually without giving it a second thought.

Hyunjin bristles before reclaiming his seat on the couch. "Did you not hear the part about what Minho mentioned or what he did?"

"Hyung's popped in and out of our assignments before and sometimes he does things to keep us in line; this isn't anything new," Jisung responds, further defending Minho. "AND WAIT—IF I SHIT MYSELF, I'D DO MY OWN DAMN LAUNDRY!" he yells in delay after realizing the basket of clothes was set on the floor next to him. His eyes narrow at the fact that Hyunjin had gone ahead and done his very giant pile of laundry in the midst of doing his own smaller load.

"No," Hyunjin states firmly, ignoring Jisung's last comment. "He's never involved himself to this extent—not like this. Believe me, something's off." A stormy expression blankets his face as he recalls the recent events involving his superior.

Jisung ruffles his hair in frustration. "Look. I don't know what you're getting at, but for hell's sake—we're all on the same side," he pushes words through gritted teeth. "It's you who's playing with fire, Hyunjin. I told you not to get too close to that girl, but you went ahead and complicated things when I clearly remember telling you not to!"