Chapter 16 [Warning]

Warning: This chapter contains themes of physical and sexual violence.

Winter break—four weeks of supposed bliss until mid January for most college students. But how the professors all seemed to encourage continuous studying to prepare for the upcoming semester is nothing short of cruel. Still, you're not about to let it dampen your excitement today.

"So, Seungmin." You hastily stuff your laptop into your bag, thrilled to be exiting the lecture hall for the final time this year. "Do you have anything fun planned out?"

"Jeju Island."

You stop to arch a brow at him. That's a much grander plan than you could've imagined. Expensive, too.

"It's a family tradition to visit Jeju-do every December," Seungmin says, pushing in his seat.

You get up to do the same. "Oh, that sounds amazing. It must be beautiful there during the winter."

He shrugs. "My favorite part is eating a year's worth of mandarins while I'm there. I'll make sure to bring some back for you."

You laugh, well aware of his love of fruits. "I'll look forward to it."

"But what about you? Any plans?" Seungmin asks, swinging his backpack over the shoulder.

"I'm not sure yet."

◈ ◈ ◈

Your body sways to one side in the passenger seat as Hyunjin makes a tight turn around a corner.

"Thanks again for driving me, it really beats taking the subway to work."

"I never said I'd do it for free."

You feign offense. "You mean, you're not doing this out of the goodness of your heart?" you deadpan.

"What goodness?"

You roll your eyes. "Okay, fine. I'll buy you a large, iced Americano. How's that?"

There's an amused tilt to Hyunjin's lips, and you know he's pleased with the answer.

"So, four weeks," he begins slowly. "Is it every bit of bliss you've ever hoped for?"

You look down at your lap. "Honestly, I can't remember why I was looking forward to this break so much," you say dejectedly.

"No exams, no studying—is that not good enough for you anymore?"

Your shoulders sag.

"No one will be in town..." you trail off. "Felix and Chan have families in Australia so they'll be out of the country, Seungmin is headed to Jeju, and Minjoo and her parents are going to Busan to visit her little brother. I guess... I never realized I'd be by myself this holiday."

"You could do the same, you know," he says, the car coming to a stop at a red light. "Go visit family."

"Mm." You shrug, his suggestion being the source of a mild sting.

Hyunjin gives you a sidelong glance, most likely due to your vague response.

"You know what?" you say, squaring your shoulders bravely and raising your chin. "I am going to enjoy myself. I will eat delicious food, do some eye shopping at the Dongdaemun Plaza, see all the movies I've been wanting to see, and maybe even visit that damn Ice Festival I've been reading about."