Chapter 18

(Daehan's POV)

His vision goes in and out of a blurry state when consciousness finds him again. Daehan groans, repeatedly squeezing his eyes shut as everything feels foggy. What the hell happened?

The last thing he remembers is the sound of footsteps approaching him while he was walking to his car inside of a parking garage. And upon reaching the car door... well, that's as far as his memory takes him.

Rubbing his forehead and sitting up from his slumped position, he sees a small wooden table in front of him. His eyes scan the light oak surface until they eventually land on something- no, someone sitting across from him. Daehan squints underneath the harsh fluorescent light to see who it is, but it's futile. Their face is concealed—a black mask covered the lower half while the shadow casted by the brim of their black cap kept eyes shrouded in darkness.

"Where am I?" Daehan asks the stranger while peering around in confusion. This definitely wasn't a parking garage... It was a dim room of a moderate size without any windows, just concrete walls and flooring all around. The single light fixture above the table created harsh shadows and lines, and the steel door in the far corner was closed shut, adding to the overall air of discomfort.

"What's going on? Who are you?" His voice raises a notch as the confusion builds and weighs on him.

As if in response to his last question, the figure silently begins pulling away the face mask, revealing sharp features that he doesn't quite recognize. It's only when the hat is removed and onyx hair falls over cold eyes does Daehan silently stare in befuddlement.

It was him, the guy from the bus station—the one responsible for the facial fractures he had sustained that night. Daehan struggles to remember you calling his name during that encounter... 'Hyunjin', was it?

Shit.

Was this about him paying you a visit the other night?

Daehan swallows in an attempt to coat his dry throat, finding those dark eyes unnerving to look at as they're solely fixed on him in a callous gaze.

Hyunjin pulls something out—a black switchblade knife. Daehan watches in confusion as a gloved thumb runs over a button on the bolster and the blade flings out in a swift motion. He then swings straight down, plunging the tip of the blade into the middle of the table. The force is enough to cause the wooden surface to split an inch past its mark, and the knife is left in a position to stand for itself. The sudden movement earns a jolt from Daehan, and he's completely taken back when Hyunjin stands up and reaches across to grab him by his shirt, forcing him closer. Daehan braces himself by grabbing the table's edge as he's roughly drawn in, but Hyunjin disturbs the balance by swiping one of his hands, bringing it forward to the table's center.

"Lying will cost you." His voice is eerily even and calm, a stark contrast to his brash actions as he holds Daehan's hand taut by the blade.

"What the fuck- let go!" Daehan squirms to get himself free, but his captor keeps him in spot rather effortlessly, the iron grip on him never dwindling. The chair legs screech against the floor underneath him as it slides back and forth from the struggle, and he eyes the steel door over Hyunjin's shoulder.

"I wouldn't if I were you," Hyunjin mutters. "You won't make it to the door."

Daehan stops moving, unsure of what to make of what sounds awfully like a threat. Becoming increasingly aware of what kind of situation he might be in, he forces himself to stay still despite his accelerating heart.

Okay, just what kind of a sick joke is this?

"How did you find her?" he asks, releasing Daehan's shirt to hold the knife steady in its downright position.