Chapter 8

Friday, 9:46pm

"Felix, I have a question."

"Shoot."

You take a sip of your drink. The bluish green cocktail is mesmerizing to look at, especially when you're slightly tipsy. It's the second drink of the night, and you probably could've benefitted from eating more food earlier.

"Do you think I'm friendly?"

Felix shrugs. "Depends. You can be."

He raises two fingers at the server, signaling for a pair of shots. You crinkle your nose. You don't particularly enjoy taking shots, but you also don't like his answer.

"I mean, anyone can be friendly, right? I think in your case, it's more so that you don't easily open up to people," Felix says, handing you a shot of whatever poison he has chosen.

"So, in short, yeah. You are friendly, but to a certain extent."

You nod pensively while holding the small glass filled with clear liquor.

"It's not a bad thing. You're just... really selective about stuff like that. But it's the reason why when you do open up to someone, you know they're gonna be your friend for life."

"Are you referring to yourself?" you ask with a smirk.

Felix laughs. "Well, of course. But it goes for others too. Once in a while, you'll meet someone you just naturally feel comfortable with. Someone you don't need to force yourself to open up to, you know?"

"Well, that's... optimistic. You're really starting to sound like Chan," you murmur, gazing lazily at the shot glass before downing the liquid.

Oh, tequila. You make a face as it slightly burns going down your throat. It's not horrible but...

No, it's pretty horrible.

"Is this about your new friend that you invited?"

Your head snaps up at Felix. "What makes you say that?"

He smirks back. "Just remember, and I only say this because you're a total over thinker—people who're meant to be in your life will stick around because they'll love you for you."

You groan, rolling your eyes at his cheesiness. "Forget it. Drink your poison."

But as cheesy as his words of wisdom are, you appreciate his insight and honesty. Felix just always had an understanding of your insecurities, even the ones you rarely talk about.

Minjoo glides into the seat next to you while noticing Felix taking a shot. "You guys took one without me? I was only gone for a minute!"

"Uh, maybe we should get you a beer instead. You're kind of a lightweight," Felix tells Minjoo who's pouting across from him.

"No, I want us all to do a shot!" Minjoo declares, determined to not feel excluded. "And where's your friend? Didn't you say he'd be here?" she asks, turning to you.

"I texted him, but he hasn't responded," you say, checking your phone again.

It'd be a lie to say you weren't a little disappointed.

Maybe he was busy? Or maybe he just didn't want to come? Were you too pushy to ask him to join?

"Oh wait, could that be him?" Minjoo chirps, craning her neck to look over the booth.

You curiously look up and notice someone with longish, dark hair walking into the bar.

Minjoo was right, it's Hyunjin.