Chapter 26

1:39am

You violently kick your blanket off with a sharp huff.

Sleep was definitely escaping you.

Everything Minho said earlier cycles through your head in an endless loop and it's kept you tossing and turning. Not to mention the prospect of visiting your dad was making your stomach churn.

And... you didn't get to talk to Hyunjin about the things you wanted to at the cafe. But that seemed to be the least of your concerns right now.

God. If only there was a way to just shut off the brain for a little bit.

To top off all your bothersome thoughts, your stomach growls begging to be fed, probably the result of skipping dinner.

You sit up with a sigh, tiredly dragging a hand down your face. Rolling out of bed, you trudge towards the kitchen in hopes to settle the growing hunger. You tug at the fridge door and it opens with a small creak.  

Okay, let's see...

Your eyes scan the rather lacking shelves. You suck your teeth in disappointment.

...Garlic cloves. Yikes, hard pass.

Milk? Maybe...

Expired yogurt? N-no, not that desperate... yet.

Taking a step back with hands on hips, you realize you forgot to grocery shop this past week.

Fantastic. There was nothing decent to eat. And you couldn't fall asleep.

You consider taking a stroll down to the 24-hour convenience store. You know for a fact that the one you frequent just outside of campus keeps samgak kimbap stocked even late at night.

The trip to grab food solidifies in your mind and you can't help but to swallow hungrily.

◈ ◈ ◈

The night is cold and the sky is an inky, borderless black that stretches in all directions. The Cheshire moon hangs solitarily without any visible stars to accompany it, but its cheeky smile tells you it doesn't seem to mind.

You hum a slow tune to yourself, taking in the vastness above you. Like the lone moon in the sky, you feel like you're the only person alive in the world right now at this time of night.

And nothing can touch you or bother you.

You can just exist. Peacefully.

The plastic bag filled with food you've purchased from the store gently rustles as you steadily tread along the quiet, narrow road. This empty street leading back up to the dormitory has the occasional street lamp along the way that produce small spotlights.

Your shoes subtly shuffle against the ground as you leisurely twirl underneath one of the lamps that pours light onto you. The frosty air going through your hair makes you shiver, but it's refreshing; it helps you to lay your worries down for the time being.

It's freeing having the world to yourself tonight.

Or so you would've liked to believe a while longer.

You weren't really alone in the moment, and it's in mid twirl that this dawns on you. Your movements and humming come to a stop.

The tranquility you were reveling in a second ago shatters and the hair on the back of your neck raises at the impossible sight before you.

In the middle of the dark road where you had walked up, there's a person standing eerily still—and it's all too horribly familiar.

With you being under the light and him shrouded in darkness, it's only his silhouette that you can discern. But, like all the other times, your gut just seemed to know...