𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

CHAPTER EIGHT:❝︎I

CHAPTER EIGHT:
❝︎I.E.D.❞︎

    "ECONOMIC DISPARITY EXISTS IN ALL FORMS." Coach spoke. Elaine sat there at her desk, notebook open and pencil in hand as she doodled in her notebook. Stiles was sitting right beside of her, shifting through the photos of the murders and trying to figure out what the mark on Carrie was. "Well, take sports, for example. Some teams have better training facilities. Some have better equipment. Unlike Beacon Hills that can barely afford the duct tape to keep our equipment together." He came to a stop beside Stiles' desk, slamming the lacrosse stick in his hands onto the boy's desk, making him jump. Coach glanced at the photos on his desk before leaning down so that his face was closer to his. "You know, Stilinski, if I could grade you on how profoundly you disturb me, you'd be an A plus student."

     Stiles nodded his head. "Thanks, Coach."

     "Put those pictures away." He stood up straight, tapping the end of the lacrosse stick onto his desk. As Coach went to turn and walk away, Stiles quickly grabbed the end of the lacrosse stick, ignoring Coach's call of his name as he pulled the rubber end off of the stick. He took one of the pictures, comparing the two before Coach ripped the stick from his grasp and went back to teaching.

     Elaine raised an eyebrow at him. "What the hell was that?"

     Stiles sighed before looking between Elaine and Scott. "It's a lacrosse player."

     "The killer's on the team." Scott breathed.

     "Well, it looks like you two got a mystery to solve." Elaine answered before turning to look back at Coach. "And it looks like I have to convince Coach to let me be assistant coach for the games this year." When class was dismissed, Elaine decided she would talk to Coach whilst Stiles, Kira, and Scott looked through all the lacrosse sticks to try and find the weapon. She stood in there with the man for thirty minutes, convincing him to let her assist, instead he said she could sit on the bench and make sure the other team wasn't playing dirty.

     Elaine found Stiles standing outside of the room, waiting for her. "He said no. But at least we don't have to argue about me sitting on his bench this year." Elaine shrugged. "It's the closest I can get to help besides muttering a few spells to throw possible killers off, there's nothing more that I can do."

     "In all honesty, I'd rather you do that than be directly involved." Stiles told her. "Your brother and Kira aren't afraid of this, which is insane to me. And knowing you, you're not afraid of these killers either."

     "Well, then you don't know me at all." Elaine stopped walking, turning to look at him with her arms crossed over her chest. "I'm scared, Stiles. Terrified. My name has the most money on that entire list, news of my existence has probably spread halfway around the world by now, I'm going to be at the top of everyone's hitlist. I've already died once, almost twice, I don't want to die again. I can't do that to my mom, to Scott, Lydia. . . to you." She took a deep breath. "I wish there was more that I could do to stop all of this madness."