𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER TEN:❝︎Half A Million Dollars❞︎

CHAPTER TEN:
❝︎Half A Million Dollars❞︎

ELAINE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BIG BELIEVER IN TRUSTING YOUR GUT, IT HD GOTTEN HER OUT OF MULTIPLE SITUATIONS THAT COULD'VE WENT TERRIBLY WRONG, SO SHE PRACTICALLY LIVED BY THAT BELIEF. When Parrish pushed open that door, revealing Meredith sitting there on her bed, a feeling of uncertainty and distrust crept its way into Elaine's stomach. Her eyes darted around the room before landing back on Meredith, the woman having this crazy look in her eyes that sent shivers down Elaine's spine. She found herself squeezing Stiles' hand a little harder, refusing to let go of him because his touch was bringing her comfort.

She and Stiles exchanged a look with one another, watching as Lydia sat down on the other bed in front of Meredith. She didn't know how Lydia wasn't freaking out right now, but at the same time she knew that when Lydia was determined about something she was going to get her way. Elaine kept her eyes focused on Meredith, studying her body language. It took everything in her to not turn and run away. Something was not right here, and Elaine really didn't want to find out why that was.

Stiles dragged her over to the bed, making her sit down beside of him as he sat down beside of Lydia. Stiles got right to the point. "We need the third key," Stiles said, looking at Meredith and trying his best to keep the desperation from his voice. "You can give it to us in numbers, letters, hieroglyphs. Whatever you want."

Meredith's response was simple, "I can't."

"Then why did you give us the second key?" Lydia asked in disbelief.

"I wanted to help." Meredith said. "That's what I want to do. I want to help."

"Great!" Lydia enthused. "So help us now. Okay? Give us the third cypher key."

"Things have changed. I. . . I can't."

"Why not?" Stiles urged. They really needed that third key. They didn't have time for this.

"Guys, go easy on her." Parrish spoke up. He didn't want what happened last time to happen again. Elaine stared at the officer when he said that and it only made her feel more uneasy.

"I'm sorry." Meredith apologized, a frown on her face. "I can't. He. . . he doesn't want me to."

Elaine straightened up at this. "He? He, who?" Elaine clenched her jaw. "Who doesn't want you to tell us the third key, Meredith?"

"The Benefactor."

"You know the Benefactor." Elaine breathed out. "Of course you do."

After a few moments of trying to get the name out of Meredith, Lydia stood up with frustration. She started pacing the room, pointing at Meredith. "You could just tell us his name."