Chapter 14

"Hello!"

"Are you David? There's no way. No. She's not going with him."

"Kirby, you didn't even give him a chance."

"He's on a bike Cameron! Tell him no then close the door."

"I'm not going to tell him no! Come on in."

"You walk into this house boy and I'll ring your neck."

"Kirby!"

"Just get me Veronica," David finally said in a soft, deadly voice. He had been standing on the front porch with his bike running behind him, waiting for their conversation to be over.

Kirby pushed Cameron aside and leaned out the door toward David. "She's not here right now." With that, Kirby slammed the door shut.

David raised one eyebrow, thought about busting the door open, then decided it would probably be best to do something more rational. He decided to steal the child.

                                                               ()()()()

Veronica had changed into her Guns n. Roses pajamas and was on her bed lying down on her stomach, sobbing into her pillow. She overheard Kirby's rudeness to David and the door slam. David's bike drove off into the distance and she lost all hope. Maybe David really wasn't a vampire after all and the Frog Brothers were just a bunch of crappy storytellers. Veronica sniffed and reached out for her Count Chocula plushie. She rubbed her tear stained face into his cape.

Tink

Veronica looked up and wiped her eyes. Assuming it was just the house creaking, she went back to her Count.

Tink

This time when she looked, she sniffed and sat up, waiting for it to sound again.

Tink

Veronica slid off her bed and opened her bedroom door. There was nothing there, so she went to inspect her closet to try to find the source of the noise.

Thump

This time she knew for sure it had come from the direction of her only window. She pushed the curtains aside and had her hands on the blinds when a shadow of fear poured over her. Anything could be down there.

"I can see your silhouette. Open the window."

Veronica smiled, she knew that voice. It was David. She zipped the blinds up and threw her Count Dracula back on her bed before opening the window.

"I knew you would find some way to save me!" She shouted.

"Shush, not so loud. I don't want Kirby to find out I'm kidnapping you."

"You would really do that for me?"

"Shut up and just jump!"

"Will you catch me?"

"No, I'm planning on letting you fall to your death." David said without a hint of sarcasm.

Veronica ignored his comment and followed the plan, blinded with the innocent trust of a young girl. She grabbed her bag and took the screen out of her window, being careful to not make a sound. She let her bag go first, and David caught it. He lightly placed it on the ground, then looked back up to her with his hands in his pockets.

"You promise you will catch me?" She asked, just to be on the safe side.

"I don't make promises."

Veronica sighed and was tempted to ask him why he was so difficult. She flipped off her lights, made her bed so that it looked like she was sleeping in it, debated on bringing Count Chocula, went to the window, went back to her bed to grab the Count, then dove feet first out her window. She slammed her eyes shut, but it was pointless since it only took a second for her to fall into David's arms.

"You do realize you were only a few feet off the ground, right?" He asked.

Veronica could feel the rumble of his words and smell his musky cologne. "...Yeah."

"What's with the stuffed toy?"

"...Nothing."

David made a sound between a sigh and a chuckle. He picked up her bag and carried her down the street.

As he was carrying her, Veronica had a sudden feeling of sadness wash over her. Not a heart aching sadness, but a melancholy one. Before, she couldn't quite figure out what drew her to David, but now it hit her. It had nothing to do with his looks and the fact that he might be a vampire (though that did play a major role), it was because-

"Get on," David commanded when they walked up to his bike that was a block away. He had placed her down next to it and got on it himself. With two tries, she hopped on the back and placed her bag between her and David. He put up the kickstand and pushed off to start the bike rolling down the street until he was another block away. Figuring they were a safe distance away from the house, he started it and they sped off toward Sam's house. 

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢