Chapter 25

Veronica could not sleep. She kept replaying Alan's kiss in her mind over and over again and thinking about how it was awkward. Both of their lips were extremely dry and Alan had just about missed her lips, but she would do it again. And again, and again. Only, maybe not with Alan...

David had ended up telling Sam about the kiss, so now Sam was walking around like a kicked puppy. She had a small suspicion that Sam had liked her more than a friend, but this had confirmed it. She felt guilty, but was also secretly loving the idea that she had two boys in love with her. She went from a dorky nerd that was picked on all the time to a goddess of romance.

She snorted at the thought. Even with her confidence as high as it was, she knew she was nowhere close to a goddess.

She sat up in bed when she heard the sound of the refrigerator open. Max and Lucy were both at the video store finishing up filling out their wedding invitations, Sam had gone to bed a long time ago, and Paul and Laddie were with the rest of the boys back at the cave. They had broken a lamp earlier while horsing around and took off like criminals. She highly doubted they would come back to the scene of the crime.

She quickly, yet quietly, walked across the room and snuck toward the stairs. As silently as she could, she made it down, missing all of the squeaky parts. From the kitchen doorway she could see the glow of the refrigerator. She creeped up to the edge and peeked around the corner, but once she saw who it was, she took a step into the middle of the doorway.

Michael was staring into the fridge with a zombie-like appearance. He leaned his head back and slowly turned to look at Veronica with his glazed expression and his mouth hun slightly open.

"I have to pee, but I'm too hungry to care." He said before slowly moving his attention back to the fridge.

"This is about Star, isn't it?" Veronica whispered. She could only assume his strange behavior was due to the recent breakup. Why else would someone binge eat food in a strange trance?

"No, this is about food."

Veronica nodded at his response and walked back upstairs not knowing what else to say. She would tell Lucy or Sam later and have them deal with trying to fix him. Right now, she needed to focus on getting some sleep...and figure out how to be a better kisser.

                                                    ()()()()

"Happy birthday!" Lucy, Sam, and Max shouted when Veronica slumped her way down the stairs in the morning.

"We didn't have time to get you an awesome gift, but we did get you a little something." Sam said.

"The boys are supposed to come over tonight, too." Max added.

"Oh that's alright, you really didn't have to plan a party or get me anything." Veronica blushed at their thoughtfulness. She began to inch her way back up the stairs out of uncomfortable embarrassment. She enjoyed attention, but it was too early in the morning to have to deal with people being this nice to her.

"It's too late," Sam grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down, "we already did!"

He pulled her into the kitchen where a cake was waiting with twelve unlit candles. Max lit the candles and watched her blow them out before heading upstairs to the safety and comfort of his pitch black room. As soon as he left, Lucy opened the kitchen windows to let in some light.

"I've never had cake for breakfast." Veronica told Lucy as she cut her a piece.

"Yes, well, since it's your birthday and all I figured I could let it slide."

Sam smirked. "Mom's just trying to sweeten you up so you will go over and see your mom today. She called earlier asking for you. I may have promised her that you would go over for at least an hour. It is your home after all."