Chapter 18

"David?" Max called as he entered the cave that night.

"Hey Hot Stuff!" Paul called. "Maria told me about you and your future wifey last night!"

"Oh shut up!" David yelled from somewhere back in the cave. He came out and glared at Max. "I would prefer if you didn't have a sex life, father."

Max didn't say anything sarcastic back like he usually would. Instead, his tone and face were both serious. "I need to talk to you about Star."

David's smirk disappeared. "Look, I was just toying with her emotions."

David turned to Paul, who was watching them with extreme interest. Paul only partially knew what had been going on thanks to Maria. David raised an eyebrow and Paul shrugged in response.

"Go join Dwayne and Laddie on the Boardwalk!" David finally yelled.

"Yeesh, no need to get your boxer-briefs in a knot." Paul huffed as he pulled his way out of the cave.

"I have a feeling this is going to be a long lecture." David sighed and sat down on a dusty couch. He offered the seat across from him to Max.

"I would rather stand." Max sniffed in slight disgust. "I want you to stay away from the house. I don't need you and Michael getting in a fight in front of Veronica."

"Doesn't she have her own home?"

"There's been a situation and she'll be staying with us for a while. That reminds me, leave her alone if you ever see her out of my house, too."

"But I thought you always wanted a daughter? Now that Star's gone, Little V can fill her place. All it takes is one little sip." He gestured toward the jeweled bottle standing on a table.

"I won't take Cameron's daughter away from her and you know that."

"You're taking Sam's mother away from him." He countered with a lethal smirk.

Rage flowed through Max's eyes at the comment. "I am not. He will be living with her and he has the choice to become a part of the family. This isn't about me, anyway, this is about you! You've managed to destroy a part of this family."

"I didn't want Star as a sister."

"Well I wanted her as a daughter. Her and Michael worked well together. I wanted to see my son happy and start a family and live like normal humans. Vampires can have the American Dream, too, you know. They all don't have to live in caves!" Max's voice echoed off the walls.

"Your son? Michael isn't your son! Did you forget that I'm your only blood related son? Also, don't act so high and mighty. Did you also forget that you started off in a cave similar to mine with a gang more dangerous and vile than my small group of idiots! How many innocent people did you kill in your life? At least we only go after drug addicts and rapists."

The atmosphere changed and the two were suddenly at each other's throats knocking over tables and chairs that were in the way of the struggle.

"You're a spoiled piece of shit, David!" Max yelled and threw his son across the cave.

David landed on his feet and charged back over to Max, pinning him against the wall with his nails stuck in his shoulders. "Michael means more to you than I do and you haven't even married Lucy yet! I should kill that stupid bitch so you know what it's like to be alone."

"You stay away from Lucy! I brought you into this world and I can take you out!" Max pushed against David and overpowered him, sinking his claws into David's throat.

"You don't have the balls to kill me, Father." David spat blood in Max's face. Max retracted his claws and threw David across the cave again, realizing what was happening. This time David fell and laid on the floor, waiting for the gaping holes in his neck to heal.

"I would never kill you, David." Max responded in-between gasps of air and sat down.

The two shifted back to their human features and the only thing you could hear throughout the cave were the two trying to catch their breaths. Eventually, David sat up and wiped the blood from his mouth. He slowly got up, grabbed two beers from a cooler, and sat back down on the couch.

"Do you want a beer?" David pointed the peace offering to Max.

"Sure," Max responded and sat down next to him. The two had a few sips in quiet until Max asked, "Are you still going to be the best man at my wedding?"

"Only if I don't have to wear a tuxedo."

"I wouldn't expect you to, I know you better than that. I don't care what you wear, just be there, okay?"

"Okay."

"What are you and your boys doing this year for the Fourth of July? It's coming up next week." Max asked.

"Blow stuff up."

"Alright, just try not to kill anyone this year. I have a feeling Veronica will be with us."

"What's her situation anyway? Is it that Kirby guy?"

Max was shocked, David must have spent more time with Veronica than he realized. "You know about Kirby?"

"I just know that she doesn't like him and he's kind of a judgmental asshole." David remembered back to their fun first meeting.

"Cameron is letting him move into her house and Veronica is refusing to go home now. I don't know exactly what he did to her, but it can't be good. She said she doesn't feel safe having him around all the time like that."

David raised an eyebrow. "Do you want me to take care of him?"

"No, not yet. I have to figure out what's going on first. I don't want Cameron to get scared."

David smirked. "Marko can take care of her."

"David!"

"What? It's about time he settles down. I can't help it if he likes older women," David shrugged.

                                      ()()()()

"Aw, did you get kicked out of the cave again?" Marko mocked as Paul came up to the other boys with a pout on his face.

"Yeah, David and Max are having their annual fight."

"So soon in the year?" Dwayne mused. "Their fights are usually around Christmas time."

"I think David started it early this year with that Star drama he pulled." Paul said. He eyed Laddie's elephant ear. "Wanna share that with me, twerp?"

"Bite me," Laddie hissed.

Paul's mouth popped open in shock. "Dang Dwayne! What are you teaching our son?"

"Please stop calling him our son, you freak. You'll give the ladies the wrong idea."

"What ladies?" Paul looked out at the Boardwalk as all the beautiful, attractive women in swimsuits walked past the three boys without even a glance in their direction. 

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢