Chapter 33

"You know, I would totally be willing to become a vampire just to kill Kirby for you." Sam stated.

It was almost one week later and Kirby was still in Veronica's home, eating her food, sitting on her couch, and getting all the sympathy from her mother. Currently, Veronica, Sam, and the Frog Brothers were having a sleepover in Sam's tree house while Kirby enjoyed all of those things. The only reason why the Frog Brothers decided to come over to a vampire's lair was so that they could keep an eye on those vampires. If it wasn't for Alan's insistent pestering, though, they wouldn't be there at all.

"Dude, you're talking crazy talk now," Alan grimaced. "Just have one of your little blood-sucking friends do it. Killing is what they do best, so why not put their skills to good use?"

Edgar snorted his approval. "Yeah, for once I think I would be okay with them draining another human's blood. Besides, it's not like Kirby is a human."

"David and Max don't seem to be doing anything about him. I don't know what Max is waiting for." Sam frowned.

"Maybe he likes having me here," Veronica mumbled from her curled up position in the corner. If Marko had not carried her up to the tree house to get her out of her now-permanent room, she would not have been here at all.

"If Kirby was dead, would you move back home?" Edgar questioned through a mouthful of cheese crackers.

"Maybe, but I don't know. Right now I don't think I could, even though I do miss my bed. Hey," she perked up, "do you think Michael would be willing to bring my bed over here?"

"No. He's been gone every night lately. And I don't know where he goes, so don't ask." Sam answered.

An expression of mischief and adventure-craving flickered across Edgar's face. "That's funny, maybe we should follow him tonight."

"I think he already left." Sam craned his neck over the poorly cut-out window to look at the house. "Wait, maybe not. His bike is still out in the driveway, but he's probably going to leave soon."

"Perfect! Don't you want to know where he's going?"

"Not really," Sam shrugged. The Frog Brothers stared at him, knowing full well that wasn't true. "Alright, yes I do. Veronica, do you want to go with us?" 

Both Sam and Alan looked at her with hopeful expressions.

"Um, sorry but no. I'm not really feeling up to sneaking around in the dark."

"Aw come on, don't be a lame wad." Edgar whined. He knew that if she wouldn't go then neither would Alan, because for some reason he seemed to follow her around like a dog on a leash. That would be another mystery he would have to figure out later.

Like clockwork, Alan confirmed Edgar's suspicions. "I can stay behind with you."

Edgar rolled his eyes. "I knew it. You're both losers! Come on Sam, let's leave these two barf bags behind, we've got some vampire stalking to do."

The two boys climbed down and landed on the ground with heavy thuds. Once they had disappeared into the bushes by the driveway, Alan shifted closer to Veronica.

"So, how are you doing?"

She pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her head on her knees. She had been constantly exhausted lately. "Horrible, just look at me."

"You look wonderful."

"Don't lie."

Alan groaned. Even at his young age, he knew this was a discussion he did not want to get involved with. He decided to change the subject instead. "School starts in two weeks, are you ready for it?"