Chapter 3

Max stormed into the twenty-four hour drug store where Star worked the night shift. "Guess who decided to stop by my house and scare the crap out of the children?"

Star looked up from stocking the shelves and a worried look crossed her face. "Please tell me it wasn't David."

"Bingo. Why the hell did you not tell him before now that you cheated on him with Michael when you two were still together? Better yet, why the hell did you tell him in the first place!"

"I wasn't going to, but I accidentally ended up telling Marko." Star shifted uncomfortably on the ground. "It just kind of spilled out."

"And on what planet did you think that was a good idea? You now have David hunting you two down, and he's not going to stop until he's able to drink Michael's blood!"

"That's not fair! We split up a while ago; he has no right to start caring now." Her voice rose in pitch.

"You slept with Michael while you were still with David. Not only that but you slept with him in David's bed! Any sane young male would be furious at that." Max paused for a second. "Now how am I supposed to get you out of this mess?"

Star looked at the ground silently trying to figure out how to fix this. "Kill Marko. This is all his fault." Tears formed at the corner of her eyes.

Max's voice softened, "Star, I love you like a daughter, but you have to figure this out for yourself. I'm not the one who started this. You should have never told Marko and David would have never figured out. I suggest you get to David and talk this out with him before he finds Michael."

"You want me to be alone with David and 'talk things out' with him? You know David doesn't talk. He's not rational."

"You'd be surprised. Get him just before he goes to bed, he's too tired to care much about anything. Never wake him up though. He's known for biting off fingers when you attempt the impossible." Max smiled a little and in return Star let out a wispy, quite laugh.

"I figured that out the hard way. He shoved me half way across the cave when I woke him up to say I was going out." This brought on a louder laugh from her. "I squeaked when I hit the wall and Dwayne slapped David without even opening his eyes."

"Let me guess, that caused David to hiss at him."

"Yup, just like a cat. Then they just fell back to sleep like nothing happened! They never mentioned it again."

"That's because me and Marko never woke up." A blonde haired man walked in and leaned against the shelf Star was stocking. "If we would have seen that we could have made so many jokes."

"Paul," Max nodded to him. "I'm guessing David sent you here to get Star. Why didn't he come himself?"

"Because he knew she wouldn't come. He wants you back at the cave. Now." He nodded towards Star.

"I can't just leave my job-"

"For David you can." Paul's playfully dumb look he always held was nowhere to be found.

Star looked at Max before giving an answer. He shrugged in response, not helping her at all. "Well, let me go tell Alexis that I'm taking a break. She's just in the back room."

"Is she cute?" Paul's eyes were bright again and he stood up straight.

"I suppose for a sixty year old ex-trucker she is." Star smiled at Paul as he leaned back against the shelf with a disappointed sigh.