Chapter 2

It was almost eight o'clock when Sam and Veronica arrived back at Max's house. All day long they talked about their family life, their interests, and what they hated about school. It turned out they had more in common than they thought. Veronica was able to sympathize when Sam told her about how he hated being pushed into Max's family. Not only was Max an over happy nerd with a bad taste in fashion, but his son David was also in a gang. And he was trying his damndest to get Michael involved. 

In turn, Veronica told him about how her mother used to go with Robert-a "family man" that had four other kids and wanted to be like the Brady Bunch. Then there was Chris, the tattooed gun runner for the Santa Carla Fanged Dragons who almost got them killed...twice.

"Well, I guess we both suck when it comes to getting a normal family." Sam said as he jumped up on the front steps. He pushed open the door and Veronica followed him in.

When they got into the living room Max and Lucy were sitting on the couch drinking wine. Sam noticed that Max's glass was a little more red than Lucy's.

"Maybe I should stay the night?" Lucy finished saying as she stared down into her glass. "I just don't feel comfortable leaving him there alone."

"Do whatever makes you feel better. I can take care of the kids, Honey." Max replied in a sugar coated voice.

"What about getting them to school?"

"Sam can walk Laddie to his bus stop, then head on over to his. If worse comes to worse I'll call Charley and ask if they can carpool with Tommy."

"Where are you going Mom?" Sam asked with a worried expression.

"I'm going to stay with Grandpa for the night. That old bat, Widow Johnson, broke his heart again and now he's threatening to stuff himself and send his body to her through the mail!"

"Geez Mom, calm down. How is Grandpa going to be able to stuff himself anyway? It's a little hard to take out your insides while you're still breathing."

"Sam, please be sensitive right now. Can't you see your mother's in a panic?" One side of Max's mouth turned down to form a slight frown.

"I know Grandpa and he's not one for suicide. I guess I can walk Laddie to the bus stop tomorrow, though." Sam rolled his eyes as Lucy stood up and kissed her son good-bye. When the door closed behind them Max turned to Veronica.

"Sweetie, your Mom called me about a half hour ago. She wanted me to ask you if it would be okay if you spent the night. Apparently she and Will are getting along pretty well."

"So well that they have to spend the night in a cheap hotel room?"

Max's eyes opened in surprise and Sam snorted, knowing all about her story. "Um, well..." At a loss for words, Max just slid his hand through his hair.

"It's fine. Can I go home and pick up some clothes for school?"

"Sure, Michael and Star are going out for the night. I'll have them run you over there. Sam can go with you, but I have to get going. Maria always chews me out for being late to the video store."

Sam raised an eyebrow to Max. "I thought you were the boss?"

"I am, but I keep her because she keeps me on a tight work schedule." He smiled as he walked past the two and out into the darkening night.

"Wait here and I'll go find my brother." Sam headed towards the kitchen and she heard a door open and shut. She looked around the room and noticed that it was decorated like a traditional sitcom living room. No family portraits, no children's artwork, heck there wasn't even an animal head mounted above the fireplace. Just normal, boring décor.