Chapter 6

"How'd you get that sunburn?" Sam asked when Veronica arrived at his house. They headed to the tree house to inspect some old comics that got dumped on him by some friends.

"Washing my mom's car, it was part of my punishment."

"Oh, does it hurt yet? Can I make a hand print on it?"

"Just feels a little hot, by tonight it'll start burning. And no. So where did you get these comics? These things look ancient! I've never even heard of these titles before. Land of the Lovesick, Music Filled Hearts of Blood, Dangerous Lovers in Wonderland?"

"Yeah, they never got real popular. My friends found them in the back of their store's storage room and thought it would be funny to crowd my tree house with them. They're not interested in corny romance comics that are in black and white."

"Who are these terrible friends that would curse you with such crap?" Veronica wrinkled her nose as she held one called Lovers Lost in the Tropics far away from her.

"The Frog Brothers," Sam muttered. "They could have just given these to their parents to use as papers for their weed. At least that's what I'm assuming they smoke..."

"I take it they own a comic shop?"

"Yup, down on the Boardwalk. Not too far away from where Max's video store is."

Suddenly Veronica got an idea: if Vampires liked to party all night long, where was the best place to do that? The Boardwalk of course. "Maybe we should go down there and give the curse back. You know, stuff these comics in their bicycle spokes and their backpacks. They'll love cleaning that up in the morning, or accidentally pulling out Sexy Lover's Naked Triumph instead of a book report that's due. Then tonight we can go on a nighttime ride on the Farris wheel! I've never been on one at night before!"

"I like the ambush idea, but the Ferris wheel I'm going to have to pass on."

Veronica looked bummed, "How come? You're not afraid of heights are you?"

"No no, it's not that. Remember when I told you the most murders happen at night? Well I just don't want to be one of those murders."

"I really want to see the Boardwalk at night, though, and the Ferris wheel would be the best way to see all of it." Veronica made her best dejected face. "But if you don't want to, maybe your brother could take me with Star and Laddie." She gave off a depressed sigh, then suddenly a glint of hopefulness. "Or maybe David could take me!"

"No! No, I'll take you; just stop getting all depressed on me."

"Yay!" She leaned over to him and gave him a hug. She now knew acting pathetic could get him to do anything.

                                                                              ()()()()

Later that night, they made their attack on the Frog Brothers. The two were too busy checking for thieves in the front to notice anything shifty going on in the back. Veronica and Sam muffled their giggles as they pushed the cheesy comics through the spokes of the brothers' bikes to clog the tires. Once inside the store they silently hunted out their backpacks and replaced all homework with the most risqué comics.

"They are going to kill me," Sam giggled when they took off running from the scene of the crime. "Can you imagine Alan's face when he pulls out Twisted and Sexy Hot-Volume One instead of his geography homework!"

"I can't wait to see the teacher's face when she realizes they made more than one volume of that!" Veronica giggled evilly. "So who was who?"

"The one attempting to look all buff and mean was Edgar, the other-Alan."