EPILOGUE: THE WEDDING

"You may now kiss the bride." The pastor smiled as Max and Lucy took their first kiss as husband and wife. Halfway down the aisle, Max scooped Lucy up and carried her to the limo that would take them to their reception.

They arrived at a beautiful park with a rose garden framing the entrance. A red silk carpet led through the white entrance gates and directed guests to a large brown bricked villa where the reception was taking place. Some of the family on Lucy's side questioned why the wedding was being held at night, but once they saw the beautiful string lights draped anywhere they could hang they understood. Nighttime held a special ambiance and with the small glowing orbs dangling from tree limbs and doorways, the mood was very cozy and romantic.

The interior of the villa held the same mood with more string lights draped from the ceiling, tall white candles with silver bows tied around their bases decorating the tables, and silver antique dishes scattered around the villa as décor. It was almost like walking into a crystal ball with all of the lights and white reflecting off the silver.

As an extra surprise for Lucy, her dad had planned an eccentric fireworks show for when the bride and groom arrived. Just because he didn't like Max, didn't mean he wanted his little girl's second wedding to be as bland as her first.

Once everyone had dined on an assortment of seafood, Lucy and her dad made their way to the dance floor and had the first dance to Heaven by Warrant. Halfway through the song, Max came and took her father's place. As the bride and groom twirled away in the starlight, her father's bottom lip quivered.

"Aw Sweeting, don't cry. She's a big girl now and finally found the right man." Alexis walked up to her new beau and put a hand on his shoulder. She had quit working at the drug store not long after Star left. She had met Lucy's father during a senior citizen's picnic the community center had hosted.

"I know, I just wish...I wish her the best." He smiled and led Alexis out to the dance floor. Not long after them other couples joined and filled the floor with happy couples. Paul and Maria, Marko and Cameron, and David and Dwayne with temporary dates/soon-to-be-meals.

After a few seconds of awkwardness, Sam finally went up to Veronica and asked her to dance. She accepted with a smile, but let her gaze linger on Paul for a few extra seconds. They left Laddie sitting at the kids table surrounded by a bunch of little girls who were captivated by his good looks. The Frog Brother's did not show up, though Sam had invited them, and neither did Star. Michael was alone, but did not seem to mind.

After the song ended, Michael strode up to Max.

"So, do I have to refer to you as 'Dad' now?"

Max smiled, "I don't think you'll see me that much anymore, so it doesn't matter."

Michael had a confused look on his face. "What do you mean? Are you kicking me out of the house?"

"In a way. I would prefer to call it pushing you toward what you really want and need."

"You've still got me lost."

Max sighed. "I know about Star."

"Oh," Michael's heart and face fell at the realization. "How did you find out? Are you mad?"

Max chuckled and Michael grew even more nervous. "Michael, you come home smelling like her every night. Plus your mood has completely changed and you've stopped binging on all of our food. I'm not that oblivious. One night I followed you out of the basement just to see if I was right, and sure enough I saw you two together."

Michael's face reddened in embarrassment and fear. "So, you're not angry, right?"

"No, not at all. When I saw you two together, that's when I realized who she really loved. You're not you without her. You really scared your mom going through that depression episode. I don't want her to move back in, but I don't want you two to be apart, either."

Michael was silent as he tried to fight back his tears. "I know she messed up and she's allowed me to be mad at her. But I've forgiven her. I love her."

Max nodded. "I know. My idea is that you move out and start a life with her elsewhere. You don't have to leave right away, you can go whenever you want. I want you to be happy, and I don't think Santa Carla is going to do it for you. Go off with Star and start a family where no one knows you. You can always come back and visit."

"What about Mom?"

"I'm pretty sure she doesn't want her grown son living in her basement for the rest of eternity."

"Thanks...Dad. Thanks for taking care of Mom and not killing me when you found out about Star."

"Don't mention it. Literally, I don't want David to find out. Now go find Star and tell her the news."

Max watched as Michael hugged his mom goodbye. Max's eyes were glued to his new bride as he headed over toward her, and he ran into Veronica knocking her to the ground.

"Oh dear! I'm so sorry!" He picked up the girl and brushed off her purple and white dress.

"It's cool, I bounce back easily. My mom told me to tell you that you make a handsome groom and Lucy makes a beautiful bride."

"Well tell her I said thank you. By the way, how are things going at home?"

"Grand! Marko's been over a lot, though."

"Mhm."

"But besides that, I guess I never realized how much I missed my bed. And my mom. I still don't understand why she kept going back to Kirby, but I hope I'm never in a relationship like that."

"I'm pretty sure Sam would never do that to you."

Veronica blushed at his statement. "Yeah, well, I guess he wouldn't. Hey, can I ask you something?" She motioned for him to bend down so she could whisper in his ear. "Did David do something to my mom's boss?"

"What do you mean?" He bit back a grin as he remembered the tasty dinner he had a few nights ago.

"Well, she was promoted at the car wash to general manager, because her boss was conveniently killed in a very bloody car crash last week. I was just wondering."

Max straightened up and grinned down at her. "You might want to ask Marko about that one."

Veronica squinted her eyes at the suspicious man. "Are you sure I want to ask him?"

Max coughed, "Well, you're mom had just received the bad news that her longtime boyfriend left her for another woman. She needed some good news to balance it out."

Veronica smirked up at him. "That's what I thought."

She skipped away to the DJ's table and left Max to swoon over his beautiful bride. She motioned for the DJ to lean down so she could whisper her request for an extra special son. As he was switching the records, Veronica quickly ran up to David and pulled him away from his date and out onto the dance floor. She forced him to dance with her as My Girl by the Temptations floated over them in the night. ~

But wait...there's more! Thank you to all who have been reading this and a special shout out to user92949034 who I'm still amazed remembers this story from long ago! I will be uploading a bonus Wattpad exclusive chapter by the end of next week. See you then! <3