Chapter 32

"Mom!" Veronica shouted as she barged into her home. She had walked home from Sam's house, hoping that the exercise would calm her down. All it did was make her sweaty and irritated thanks to a heat wave rolling through California.

"Are you dating Marko? That's so gross that I even had to say that sentence."

Her mom came running out of a bedroom shushing her daughter and roughly put her hand over her mouth. "You have to be quiet."

Veronica's eyes grew huge. "Is he here?" She whispered.

"No, but someone else is."

Veronica's face scrunched up in confusion. "Who's here?"

"Veronica, sweetie," her mom gently said. She got down on her knees and held her daughter's shoulders in her hands, hoping her touch would help soften the information she had to share. "I love you sweetheart and I'm only doing this because he's really, really hurt. He needed someone to take care of him for a bit."

"What are you talking about? Who is here?"

"Kirby showed up on the doorstep covered in bruises and stitches with a broken leg. Both of his eyes were swollen and he could barely see. He had to take a taxi over here, he's not able to drive right now. He's laying down in the spare bedroom and as soon as he's better I'll send him back home. I swear."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"He was seriously hurt, Veronica. Someone beat him up pretty badly. If you saw him, you would understand why I had to do this."

"No mom, I wouldn't understand. I will never understand why you keep going back to him."

"I'm not back with him, but we've been through so much and he needed me right now. I'm just taking care of him as a friend, we are not getting back together."

"But you will! I'd rather you marry Marko and have him be my dad. I would rather live with that awkwardness than have that asshole here."

"Watch your language."

"No! You can go and bite me, mother, because I've changed my mind. I hate you. Happy? Is this what you've wanted all along? For me to hate you and live with Sam's family so you can live happily ever after with Kirby and pretend you don't have a weirdo daughter?"

Her mother gasped at the accusation. "None of that is true and how dare you talk to me that way. He just needs to get better and then he'll be gone. I'm sorry I'm showing someone compassion."

"Let him bleed to death for all I care!" Veronica screamed in her mother's face.

"Veronica! He's a human being! He deserves to be treated better than that."

"No he's not! He's a monster! He's worse than a monster! He's a sicko that abuses me and you. You know what he did the other day? He tore my necklace off my neck and left a bruise. I told David and he got my necklace back for me. I bet David did that to him and I'm glad, too! He should have killed the son-of-a-bitch!"

Veronica's mother slapped her daughter across the face, leaving both of them in silence as they processed what had just happened. Veronica was the first one to break it.

"Kirby is an evil and sick pervert, but you won't believe me on that one. Well I'm not going to stay here and wait until he hurts me again. You can have him, Cameron. I'm leaving for good." She hissed her mother's name with venom in her voice.

"Where are you going to go, huh? Max won't let you stay with him forever."

"He will if I tell him how bad of a mother you are!"

"I am not a bad mother!" She screamed, her face contorting with pain and tears.

"Yes you are! You are the worst mother I could ever have had! You're a fucking bitch!" Veronica ran out of the house and slammed the door behind her.

                                                             ()()()()

Veronica ran all the way back to Max's house without stopping. The heat did not seem to bother her anymore and it helped dry up her tear soaked eyes. She felt deja vu, but didn't care because this time she wasn't ever going back to that house.

When she ran into the opened garage, David was by the workbench welding something for his bike. He put the open flame down just in time as Veronica ran over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, burying her face into his chest and began choking out sobs in-between her gasps for air. He froze, not quite sure what was happening or how to handle a hyperventilating pre-teen girl. Eventually he patted her on her back and hugged her back, waiting patiently for her crying to get under control.

"Do you want to tell me what the hell happened?" He asked as he took off his welding mask and placed it next to his derailed project.

"My mom's a bitch and I want my real dad to be here!" She wailed. "If he never would have died then she would have never met Kirby."

David frowned. "Did something happen with Kirby?"

"Yes, he's back and staying at the house. She felt bad that he was all beat up and wants to take care of him. He doesn't deserve that! He deserves to be living in a box in an alley."

"Where was Marko? I thought he went home with your mom?"

"No, he wasn't there. I don't think they're actually together, she didn't want me to talk about him with Kirby there."

"I can't believe this. They're both idiots." David muttered under his breath. Veronica still had her arms tightly wrapped around him and buried her face back into his chest, preparing for another session of crying.

"He's an evil man. Can you please get rid of him?" She mumbled.

"I'll get rid of him just because the guy annoys me. Hey, don't get snot on me." David winced when he felt her warm tears begin to soak into his shirt. "I'll fix this, I promise."

"Miss V?" Michael appeared in the garage with a worried expression. Veronica didn't bother to look up.

"You'd better get the bedroom ready. She'll be staying with Max for a while longer. Also, tell Max I need to talk to him about doing something about this." David motioned toward the crying girl stuck to him.

"Let me guess, Cameron took Kirby back?"

"Yeah, something like that."

☢ ♥‿♥ 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒇𝓸𝓻 𝓻𝒆𝓪𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓓𝓸𝓷'𝓽 𝒇𝓸𝓻𝓰𝒆𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓿𝓸𝓽𝒆 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝒇𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓸𝔀 𝓲𝒇 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝒆𝓷𝓳𝓸𝔂𝒆𝓭 𝓲𝓽 ♥‿♥ ☢