Chapter 19

Hi guys, sorry for not posting last week. I had a death in the family and my life's just been a little chaotic. I should be back to normal postings on Friday/Sundays this week, but just be patient with me if I'm not. 

                              ● Ɲσω Ɓαcк тσ тнє Sтσяу ●

                                The Day Before 4th of July

"So how long will you be eating our food?" Sam asked as Veronica sat in his kitchen, picking apart her toast. Due to a lack of response, he tried another tactic. "The Frog Brother's have been asking about you. I think you may have attracted Allen's attention instead of Edgar."

Veronica shrugged. "I would prefer neither. Are they really trying to kill David and the others? What about Michael?"

"They've agreed to leave Michael and my mom alone, but as for the others they're still planning on taking them out."

"Even Star?"

"I'm don't know about her anymore. I don't think they will be able to find her since no one knows where she is staying right now."

"Oh." Veronica went back to picking at her toast

Lucy walked into the kitchen in her pajamas. Her hair was a mess like she had been tossing and turning all morning.

"Can't sleep?" Sam asked his mom.

"What do you mean? It's eleven in the morning, this is my normal time to wake up." Lucy gave her son an odd look, then opened the fridge. "Hey, didn't I just buy milk? And where did all the eggs go?"

"I don't know." Sam replied. He took Veronica's pile of crumbs away hoping to spur some sort of emotion from her. She just let him take it without so much as a glare.

"Well, looks like I have to run up to the store again. Veronica, how are we on bread?" Lucy nodded toward the toast.

Veronica folded her arm on the table and plopped her head down. "Fine," she muttered.

Lucy frowned at her. "Are you feeling okay, honey?"

"Just dandy," Veronica responded, head still hidden in her arms.

"You're not running a fever, are you?" Lucy gently pulled Veronica's head up and felt her forehead. "Maybe you should go home. Your mom has been calling twice a day, every day wondering if you will come home for the fireworks tomorrow."

"I was planning on going with you guys." Once Lucy released her head, Veronica replaced it back on her arms.

"At least call her, dear. She misses you." Lucy said with concern. 

Lucy wished Max would let her do something about this situation. She felt as if her world were slowly falling apart with Veronica. She couldn't imagine how a mother could pick a man over her child. Sam wasn't exactly thrilled with Max, but he never ran away like this. But then again, Max was kind and tried his best to get Sam to like him.

"Mom?" Sam asked, bringing Lucy out of her thoughts.

"Yes dear?"

"Can you get some chocolate cereal? These Wheaties suck."

"Watch your language, please."

"The Wheaties taste like poop."

Lucy sighed again. As much as she loved her boys, she still have times where she wished she would have left her children behind and come to Santa Carla on her own. She laughed inwardly, her old wild-child self still appeared from time-to-time. She ruffled his hair and headed upstairs to change, thinking of all the mischief her and Max could have gotten into if they were both childless and young.