29

February 25, 1906
📍House Yoon
Dining room

"It's nine o'clock and neither Seoyeon nor Kyungwan are here." Jin said.

"Give them some time. It's definitely Seoyeon's fault." Seeun stated.

"Why all this hostility towards that girl? If you like Kyungwan, you don't have to hate that girl just because she is her best friend. I, if I were her, would hate you because you are trying to steal her best friend."

"She slready does it. She already hates me."

"Why this neckline so deep?" Jin asked, now speechless for his sister.

"You know why." Seeun answered, still looking towards the door.

Jeongyeon and Nayeon arrived two minutes later and, indeed, Seeun was right: it was the eldest's fault.

"Good evening, sorry for the delay." Jeongyeon said, bowing.

"Forgive us, mister SeokJin." Nayeon said, then bowing.

"Good evening, Kyungwan, how are you? We didn't have a chance to talk before." Seeun stated as Jeongyeon sat down opposite her. "How was your first day at work?"

Jeongyeon was happy to be able to tell someone, before Nayeon hadn't asked her. Nayeon, on the other hand, felt terribly guilty for not having asked her. She felt like a bad girlfriend.

"Well, surprisingly. They put me in a shoe factory, I'm the dye worker. I've always loved art." Jeongyeon explained.

"Seoyeon?" Jin asked, sad for the girl excluded from the conversation.

"I don't speak English and I don't understand much. There were several Filipino women but one Korean and she put me in contact with the guard, who wanted to talk to me."

"What did he tell you?" asked the worried boy.

"That I am beautiful and he will keep an eye on me." Nayeon answered.

"Mh... If he does something, just let me know." Jin said, and then resumed eating.

No, Jin doesn't like Nayeon, he sees her as a sister to protect, just like Seeun. Also, he is sorry because his sister pays attention only and exclusively to Jeongyeon. Yes, a boy and a girl can be mere friends, even in 1906.

"Kyungwan, we should go buy a new dress." Seeun stated.

"You could go on Sunday. I made sure they didn't work that day." Jin said.

"We don't have carriages big enough for more than two." Seeun said.

"We could go first you and me and then Kyungwan and Seoyeon." Jin suggested.

"Or me and Kyungwan and then you and Seoyeon." Seeun said, receiving one of Nayeon's many glares. "How do you want, Kyungwan?"

"I think I'd rather go with Seoyeon. It's not for you, I just don't feel like leaving my best friend."

"Jin will be with her. She won't be alone. And who knows Jin won't try to woo her?"

Jin, hearing those words, choked. He took some water and drank it quickly, then turned his gaze to her sister and shook his head in disapproval. "Why are you saying these things? If you want to go with Kyungwan, just say it."

"Kyungwan, honestly, I would like to be alone with you. I would like to know you better but Seoyeon is always with us." Seeun said.

"Why would you like to get to know her better? What questions do you have to ask her in my absence that you cannot ask in my presence?" Nayeon asked, feeling a strong anger inside her.

"The classic questions you ask a person."

"Why don't you do them in front of me, then?" Nayeon asked.

<💎>

February 25, 1906
📍Myoui house

"Open, Sana, open." Tzuyu said, knocking on her door. The Japanese opened and found herself in front of a furious boy. Tzuyu entered and Sana closed the door, walking towards him. "The ring. You don't deserve it."

"What? Why?" the girl asked, clutching the ring tightly with her other hand.

"It is an important family jewel. It belonged to my grandfather and who really deserved it was Chaeryoung. You ruined my life. Before I met you, I was happily living my clandestine love. Now, because of you and your sister, someone has made my woman disappear. Do you think it is a coincidence that your father found out about me and her and disappeared today? What did your father do? What do you know?"

"Tzuyu, I don't know anything. I didn't know anything. But please don't blame me."

"Don't blame me? You are the cause why Chaeryoung disappeared. You and your useless cries. Tell me, why were you crying? Do you love me?"

Sana shook her head. "I was afraid that you would abandon me too."

"What are you babbling on now?" Tzuyu asked, remaining impassive, but having a lot of curiosity.

"First my father giving me over to someone else, then my best friend running away, then you... Why doesn't anyone want me? What's wrong with me?" Sana wondered, with tears in her eyes.

"Stop playing the victim and have the courage to admit that you are selfish, that you want to be the center of attention."

"It's not so, I swear to you."

Tzuyu, however, didn't want to listen to her and decided to leave.

<🐶>

February 25, 1906
📍Yoon house
Nayeon and Jeongyeon's room

"I saw you. You were looking at her neckline." accused Nayeon. "And don't try to deny it."

"Nayeon, eyes are made to looks." the girl justified herself.

"And ears to hear. Hear this: I leave you, get together with Seeun who is a thousand times more attractive than me." Nayeon said, then took off her dress, turning her back to Jeongyeon.

"Don't be like that." Jeongyeon told her, resting her chin on Nayeon's bare shoulder.

"Eyes are for looking, ears for hearing and hands for touching. So if you see me touching the abs of the factory guard, don't blame me." Nayeon said, taking her nightgown from the closet.

"I ask your forgiveness. What can I do to earn it?"

"Tell Seeun on Sunday you can't go shopping with her. If you stay, I'll give you a reward."

"Is this what I think?" Jeongyeon asked, stroking her still bare back.

"What do you think?" Nayeon asked, deciding to finally cover herself in her robe.

"I'm thinking of something I only like to do with one girl in the world."

"Only with one because you haven't tried the others yet. Your eyes are always on other women."

"My eyes fall on other women, but then they always come back to you."

"Damn the day I fell in love with you. You're just a flatterer, you're just good with words."

"Yet you continue to love me."