Chapter 8

The next morning Stormspirit had summoned the two apprentices for hunting practice, and they couldn't be more relieved to get away from the dreaded Mud-Hollow. Scarpaw could barely sleep after their rigorous training. It took so long to wash the mud out of her pelt. She could sense Sparkpaw shared her discomfort, and now the group of three were returning to camp, carrying fresh prey in their jaws to feed the clan. It was a warm day, and prey in the mangroves were bountiful. Scarpaw was considering going back out to hunt as she slipped under the massive roots leading into the clearing, until she was suddenly jolted out of thought, almost bumping into Stormspirit as Woodpaw came pounding up to her. His tail was held high, and his eyes seemed to gleam slightly as he mewed a welcome to the patrol. 

      "Scarpaw, hi! How was hunting?" She blinked, flicking her ear in greeting as she gestured for him to walk with her to the fresh-kill pile where she dropped her catch. 

       "It was successful, we all were able to find plenty of prey." Woodpaw nodded, captivated by her words. Scarpaw shuffled her paws, knowing she needed to take prey to the elders but was held down by Woodpaw's excited badgering. 

        "Venomsight will be assessing my hunting skills tomorrow," he mewed, "do you have any suggestions on where I should look for a decent catch?" 

         Scarpaw was about to make a remark about how he knew the territory himself, but before she could even get a word out, she was interrupted by a shrill hiss coming from the apprentice den.  Maskpaw stood, glaring at Woodpaw, thrashing his tail side to side. Woodpaw flattened his ears, looking back to Scarpaw and whispered, "Sorry. I'll talk to you later," before bounding off to his side. Scarpaw's fur prickled in anger, but she simply spat, grabbed a plump mouse from the pile and stalked off to the elders den. She had kept them waiting long enough, and she needed something to keep herself from ripping Maskpaw's tortoiseshell pelt to shreds.

      "Took you long enough," groaned Coldclaw, one of the elders laying in the den. Scarpaw bowed her head respectfully, dropping the plump mouse in the center of the four elders.

          "My apologies, the training session took longer than expected. We were able to catch plenty. I can bring more to you, if you'd like." Coldclaw was already chewing on his piece of the mouse as he spat, his dark matted fur prickling slightly.

          "Don't bother with excuses. They mean nothing to me. And don't try to overfeed us, either. We're plump enough." Scarpaw shuffled awkwardly as another elder, Fawneyes, shook her head towards Coldclaw. 

          "Oh, don't mind his temper, Scarpaw. I'm starting to believe that old mound of fleas just loves to hear himself complain." Scarpaw twitched her whiskers in amusement as Coldclaw spat once more, turning away from the cats. 

      "We'd appreciate some more fresh-kill, if you dont mind. Enough to share between Deadmouth, Slowcloud and myself." Slowcloud sat close to Deadmouth, his eyes soft and welcoming. Deadmouth seemed quite the opposite; his muzzle was scarred and disfigured, sickeningly twisted to one side. She shifted her attention back to Fawneyes, and nodded.

            "Of course. I'll be back in a rabbit's leap." Taking off towards the pile, Scarpaw grabbed a woodpecker and a muskrat, and turned to go back into the den when she was suddenly stopped by a yowl coming from behind her. Turning, Scarpaw was confronted by Venomsight, a large dark warrior who's strange eyes burned into her own like tiny flames.

            "Where do you think you're going with all that prey, apprentice?" He growled. Scarpaw blinked in surprise, dropping it to speak. 

      "Ah, Fawneyes requested I bring her more fresh-kill for the elders to share... Coldclaw took the mouse I had brought them, and the rest of them still needed food." Her voice sounded small under the stare of the looming warrior, who she had only spoken to a few times. She knew he was Woodpaw's mentor, and suddenly felt a pang of pity for him.

        Venomsight opened his mouth to say more when Slowcloud emerged from the elders den, his pale fluffy coat puffed out. 

           "Scarpaw, could you please hurry? We're beginning to get hungry, and Coldclaw is complaining again." She gave a quick nod of respect to Venomsight before collecting the prey and bounding off to the elders. It might've been her imagination, but Scarpaw thought she heard a growl about Mapleclan come from the larger warrior's mouth as she left.

            "Thank you, Slowcloud." Scarpaw mewed as she offered the prey to the other three elders. He grinned. 

            "Of course. I've been around here long enough, so I know that warrior. Venomsight seems to enjoy messing with you poor apprentices." Scarpaw saw a glint of amusement in Deadmouth's eyes, but he said nothing. Fawneyes finished her woodpecker, and yawned, licking her lips. 

            "Thank you, Scarpaw. You may leave us." Nodding once more out of respect, Scarpaw made her way out of the shady den and into the clearing where she stretched. Seeing Leopardpaw emerge from the apprentice den from across the clearing, Scarpaw mewed a greeting and padded over to her friend.

             "Hello, Leopardpaw. How was training today?" The spotted cat seemed excited.

        "It went well. But nevermind that, have you heard the news?" 

Scarpaw blinked, confused by Leopardpaw's sudden enthusiasm."I don't believe so, what news?"

           "It's about Sparkpaw. Snowstar's naming him a new mentor soon, and rumor has it that its going to be old Toadface!"