Chapter 21

"Leopardpaw, listen," Scarpaw hissed, "he told me himself. It's all true." Leopardpaw twitched an ear, shuffling her paws in discomfort. 

     "I believe you, Scarpaw, it's just... how do we know that any of this is connected? I mean, sure, theres some strange things going on, and Venomsight has a temper. But do you really suspect him of, I don't know... treason?"

      Scarpaw shook her head. "I don't know. But I have a really, really bad feeling. Don't you remember the incident with Woodpaw? Didn't that seem a little strange to you?" 

     "Yeah, really strange. It's just... a lot to swallow."

      The two apprentices sat behind the apprentice den in the bushes, alone in the darkness of the night, the only sounds coming from the distant frogs and the soft wind. Scarpaw had to share what she had learned, and this seemed to be the only way. It was late, and the moon hung high above them, illuminating the eyes of the two she-cats as they spoke in hushed voices, afraid of waking the other apprentices.

      "Maybe Venomsight isn't behind everything, but... He and Rosegaze used to be mates. They even lost her first litter; she chased him out of the nursery."

      "Yeah, so?"

      "So, if he and Rosegaze fought over her kits, he could've been the one to kill her. She was pregnant when she died; maybe Venomsight didn't like the idea of her having another cat's litter."

      "He wanted a son," Leopardpaw mumbled, "If she had a son with another cat, Venomsight would be furious."

      "Exactly!" Scarpaw stood, pacing around the marshy grass. Her mind was swimming with thoughts concerning the darker warrior. "That could be why he's so tough on Woodpaw, too. Maybe he sees him like a son; he wants him to be strong like him, but Woodpaw can't live up to his expectations. He's not like Venomsight."

      Leopardpaw gazed at her friend with concern. "So, what are we supposed to do? Should we tell Snowstar?"

      "No, no way."

      "What? Don't you think this is something he should know about?"

      "If Snowstar knew, it would only cause more problems. He'd confront Venomsight before we even know for sure if he's behind any of it, and then we wouldn't be able to keep investigating. He'd be onto us."

      Leopardpaw sighed, flattening her ears. "Scarpaw, I don't know... What if we're getting ourselves involved in something we shouldn't?"

      Scarpaw blinked, anxiety forming in her belly. "That's an even better reason to get involved! If it affects the clan, it affects us, too."

      Looking to Scarpaw for a few moments, Leopardpaw finally shook her head, looking up towards the night sky. "You know I'll be there to help you, no matter what."

      Scarpaw flicked her tail. "So you will help me, then?"

      "Do I have much of a choice?" Leopardpaw chuckled, padding her friend in the side with her front paw playfully. "If it means that much to you, then of course I'll help."

      "Thanks, Leopardpaw," Scarpaw breathed, licking the top of her friends head in affection.  "Listen, maybe we should just get some rest now, and try and find out more in the morning. Let's both try to keep an eye out for any strange behavior from Woodpaw, though; what Deadmouth said about 'watching the apprentice' still concerns me."

      "What, you mean behavior even more strange than usual?" When Scarpaw twitched her tail in annoyance, Leopardpaw laughed, shaking her pelt. "Yeah, yeah, okay. Behavior even more strange than usual. Got it."