Chapter 5

After what seemed like an entire moon, the patrol cats made their way out from Webear's den. Most of their wounds were covered up and healing, but Stormspirit's eye was still closed, looking puffy and infected. Scarpaw gulped, worried it may never open again. She realized with another shock that Pepperpelt was not with the warriors who came out of the den. The four warriors who did walk out were Stormspirit, Venomsight, Toadface, and Suntail. 

      Pepperpelt must have serious injuries... Scarpaw thought. She could see Sparkpaw searching frantically, asking the warriors where she was; but the patrol of cats ignored him, and slowly made their way to the front of the Half-Tree. His questions would have to wait. The patrol sat close together, while Snowstar and Suntail took their places, with Snowstar standing tall on the top. The whole clan watched in silence, waiting for someone to speak. Suntail raised her chin. 

      "Cats of RainClan, we come with proof that ThornClan is hunting on our territory." Snorts and hisses were heard from the crowd below. Scarpaw pulled her lip back a bit to show her teeth, anger spreading through her veins. Suntail continued. 

      "We have had suspicions before, but now, there is no denying it. I led my warriors towards the Great Lake, to inspect our scent markers. There were scents of ThornClan far beyond their borders, as well as scattered crow-food." Snowstar hissed next to her, his tail lashing out. Leopardpaw made her way over to stand next to Scarpaw, her ears flat against her head. Scarpaw looked into her friends eyes to see that they were clouded with rage. 

     "We were about to turn home when we saw three ThornClan cats, hunting near the edge of the lake. We ambushed them from the undergrowth, and won. No lives were lost from either party, but you can rest assured we gave them some wounds to think about." The cats below yowled in agreement; the elders were chuckling to themselves from the back of the crowd. Suntail's eyes narrowed. "But they hurt Pepperpelt badly. She has a large cut on her under-belly, as well as her chest. She is with Webear now." A pained yowl sounded from the crowd; probably Sparkpaw. He is close with his mentor. Scarpaw tried to find him, but there were too many cats. She sat back down. "I have discussed this with SnowStar already." She bowed her head as SnowStar stepped forward, ready to address the clan. 

      "ThornClan will pay for hunting in our territory, but now is not the time. We have few warriors, and our apprentices need more training. Tomorrow at the gathering, we will discuss this battle, but for now we will not attack. We must wait for the right moment." Some cats grunted in frustration, while others nodded in agreement. Scarpaw was one of them; She was unsure weather their clan was ready for an attack with the great ThornClan just yet. SnowStar waved his tail, ending the meeting. He padded off to Webear's den, Sparkpaw following him. Leopardpaw snorted loudly. 

      "We should be attacking now! We have enough warriors. How dare ThornClan hunt in our territory, when they have the whole flat-lands! I cant wait to get my claws on some of those warriors." Scarpaw twitched her tail. 

      "Leopardpaw, were not ready for an attack. SnowStar is right; we should wait till we have more warriors. Think about it. we've been training for almost ten moons now. Soon, you could be battling them as a warrior." Leopardpaw's eyes lit up, and she nodded. 

      "Your right. Then I'll give them something to be afraid of." Scarpaw shrugged, feeling uncomfortable about the whole situation, and decided to head to the apprentice den. It was moon-high, and Silverpelt shone brightly in the sky above. But suddently Sagefur, a young warrior, came running out from the medicine cat den. His tawny fur stood on end, and his eyes were clouded with misery. He lifted his head high and yelled,

"Pepperpelt is dead!"